Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Zucchini Cocoa Cake

The photo simply does not do this cake justice! It is one of my favorite, favorite chocolate cakes. Almost a year ago today, I posted a chocolate zucchini cake recipe, but it is a little different from this one. This is a smaller recipe for a smaller pan.

Zucchini Cocoa Cake

1/2 cup melted butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

2 cups flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 scant teaspoon salt

3 cups grated zucchini

Preheat oven to 350º F. and spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
Mix together first four ingredients.
Add next four ingredients, and then add the zucchini last.

Bake for about 40 minutes.

I frosted it with a sour cream frosting

1/4 cup soft butter
1/3 cup sour cream
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder! I have a recipe, too, and want to make it this summer. I'll hit the farmer's market this weekend and buy a bunch of zucchini. Mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is a memory from the past for me and I am so glad to have it again. I love the Bill Richardson quote on the side of your page ... it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious - tempting me to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful. I am hoping for a glut of zucchini shortly, so I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds good! Like GeraniumCat, I am also hoping for a glut of zucchini soon. If I ever get one, I'll try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Les, just once you're going to make it? :<)
    Becca, I never had it until a few years ago, and it is just the best! Thank you for your comment on the quote. I love it, too, and it seems to suit me. :<)
    Booksplease, be tempted no more. :<) You'll love it.
    Geranium Cat and Tara, I hope you do get a glut. I never do, but keep waiting. It seems that zucchini is the joke of the garden world- people giving it away in the dark of night, etc. But I never have enough. I could eat it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our zucchini isn't as prolific as most years but when we get a lot I'll be making this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great, Cath! Please do let me know how it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom used to make an amazing chocolate zucchini cake! I miss zucchini (and raspberries), when I can find it here it's about $2 for one tiny small one!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I was just looking at the zucchini I just picked, and wondering what the heck to do with it all. Thanks for this yummy-sounding suggestions!

    ReplyDelete

I am really going to try and respond to your comments as soon as they come in! I'm so grateful for your notes.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.