Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Chocolate Zucchini Cake



"Day will break and I'll wake
And start to bake a sugar cake
For you to take for all the boys to see"
Tea For Two, music by Vincent Youmans; lyrics by Irving Caesar


Chocolate Zucchini Cake

Cream together well in an electric mixer:
1 cup very soft butter
3 cups sugar

Add 1/2 cup cocoa
Add 4 eggs
and mix well.

Add 3 cups grated zucchini (including the skin)
and continue mixing.

In a separate bowl mix:
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Gradually add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, with KitchenAid turned to a lower speed.

Pour into greased 15 x 10 pan, and bake about an hour at 350 F.
Cool completely on a cooling rack.

Sour Cream Frosting

1/4 cup soft butter
1/3 cup sour cream
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt, if desired
2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
A little milk, if needed

Beat well, and frost


Instead of the sour cream frosting, I frosted the cake with cocoa whipped cream. Divine! I'm having this, not as dessert, but as my last-day-of-July supper tonight. :<)

6 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds sooooo good! I love zucchini and we eat it every week even in the winter. I have never heard of chocolate zucchini cake before but how can combining two fab ingredients be anything but tasty??? Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Heidi, I think you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What perfect timing! Someone at my friend's work brought in zucchini cake. She was excited about how good it was, and I told her about chocolate zucchini cake. Alas, she did not believe me. Now, I'll have to get busy and bake a cake...but not until the muggies let go their grip a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing it. I love that you had it for supper. I do that with ice cream sometimes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, this looks so good. I need to try it out soon. I just stumbled onto your blog and what a delight. I love your daylilies. I have a large collection but never get tired of looking at another gerdener's varieties.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.