Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Chocolate Zucchini Cake



"Day will break and I'll wake
And start to bake a sugar cake
For you to take for all the boys to see"
Tea For Two, music by Vincent Youmans; lyrics by Irving Caesar


Chocolate Zucchini Cake

Cream together well in an electric mixer:
1 cup very soft butter
3 cups sugar

Add 1/2 cup cocoa
Add 4 eggs
and mix well.

Add 3 cups grated zucchini (including the skin)
and continue mixing.

In a separate bowl mix:
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Gradually add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, with KitchenAid turned to a lower speed.

Pour into greased 15 x 10 pan, and bake about an hour at 350 F.
Cool completely on a cooling rack.

Sour Cream Frosting

1/4 cup soft butter
1/3 cup sour cream
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt, if desired
2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
A little milk, if needed

Beat well, and frost


Instead of the sour cream frosting, I frosted the cake with cocoa whipped cream. Divine! I'm having this, not as dessert, but as my last-day-of-July supper tonight. :<)

6 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds sooooo good! I love zucchini and we eat it every week even in the winter. I have never heard of chocolate zucchini cake before but how can combining two fab ingredients be anything but tasty??? Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Heidi, I think you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What perfect timing! Someone at my friend's work brought in zucchini cake. She was excited about how good it was, and I told her about chocolate zucchini cake. Alas, she did not believe me. Now, I'll have to get busy and bake a cake...but not until the muggies let go their grip a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing it. I love that you had it for supper. I do that with ice cream sometimes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, this looks so good. I need to try it out soon. I just stumbled onto your blog and what a delight. I love your daylilies. I have a large collection but never get tired of looking at another gerdener's varieties.

    ReplyDelete

I am really going to try and respond to your comments as soon as they come in! I'm so grateful for your notes.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.