Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sunday Stroll/July 27


Today's Sunday Stroll includes some cleanup work, the first of the summer season. I cut down the tree mallow by the kitchen door which was just beginning to blossom a month ago, almost to the day. I'm also in the process of cutting back the orange daylilies, which began blooming on that same Sunday Stroll. So, a month of gorgeous pink and orange, brightening the whole yard. Who could ask for more? We also went out into the vegetable garden and removed the pea vines. We don't have a compost pile, as such. We feed them to the animals, and their manure becomes our garden nutrient.

It seems that every year when we pull up the pea plants, the yellow beans begin to appear.

The first dahlia, of my first year of dahlias, the Tommy Keith, which dates from 1892! I got all my bulbs from a wonderful place, Old House Gardens.

Many of the annuals we started from seed and grew under the lights are coming into their own now.

The lavatera is still stunning, a real show-stopper!

Clarkia godetia

State Fair mix zinnia

Sea shells cosmos

The tree hydrangea is blooming. It grows all over the cemetery where my grandparents and many aunts and uncles are buried, and I thought I'd like to have it in my own yard. It is up against the fence which lines the road.


And I'll close with the wonder of the daylilies.



Some of my favorites are the ones which grow alongside the wild flowers


9 comments:

  1. Wow. It's hard to decide what to comment on. I love them all! The moth on the lavatera is so cute... the color of the clarkia is stunning... the sea shell cosmos are one of my favorite annuals... the daylilies are gorgeous and bountiful. Yup; I love them all!

    Thank you for strolling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Golly golly golly!! so much color in your garden still...we seem to be running low on color these days....beautiful photos as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved all your flowers on your Sunday stroll. I might just have to try a tree hydrangea to add to my hydrangea varities. Thanks for the beauty today.
    Mim

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely pictures Nan. I do envy you your beautiful garden!
    Thank you for the most enjoyable stroll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah for yellow beans! We had some tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness Nan...I do love your garden...gorgeous flowers...I especially like the Hydrangea.

    When I see your vegetables growing it always makes me homesick for the Carolinas...we always had a lovely garden and filled our freezer full of good things...Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All your flowers photos are beautiful, but I was struck by the Sea Shells Cosmos. I love Cosmos, but have never heard of or seen Sea Shell Cosmos. They're very unusual!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So lovely, thank you so much. I'm always amazed by the lushness of your spring and summer, and the speed of it all,after such cold, hard winters.

    C.B

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the lavatera, but that State Fair mixed zinnia is stunning!!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.