Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Busy-Day Cake


I love the name! My guess is it was called this because it is very quick and easy to make. The recipe comes from a cookbook given to me by Janet. It was written by Helen Avalynne Tawes (1898-1989), who was the wife of Maryland Governor, J. Millard Tawes. It was published in 1964. I love older, regional cookbooks, and this one is a delight.

Busy-Day Cake

Mix together:

1 2/3 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

In the mixer, beat together:

1/3 cup soft butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

At a lower speed, add dry ingredients.

Spread into a greased 9-inch round pan, and bake in preheated 350º F. oven for about half an hour.

The book includes a frosting recipe, but I didn't use it. I used a recipe I posted last year for mixing with berries, but it works great as a frosting, too.

Stir together:

1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa

Chill in the refrigerator, and then put in the blender for under a minute.

Oh, boy, is this ever delicious!!


5 comments:

  1. Hey, do they have a good crabcake recipe in there? (this is coming from a good 'ole Maryland gal!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll look and email it to you, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy that looks delicious and squishy, just how I like Chocolate cake

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah and Susan, it was so good that it's gone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If Heather still wants a good crabcake recipe, have her pop over to my food blog. I've just posted one that is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.