Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sunday Supper/Strawberry Shortcake


Yes, you read the title right. We had just strawberry shortcake for supper tonight. It was so filling we couldn't finish and shared a bit with Ben and Sadie. It is a Gladys Taber recipe.

Strawberry Shortcake

Clean and stem the berries, and mash slightly until the juice runs ruby red and sweet. Add a little sugar to taste, and warm on the stovetop.

2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup milk

Sift dry ingredients, work butter in with fingertips, add milk gradually.

Roll out lightly to fit a pie tin and bake in 450º F oven about twelve minutes.

Then split, butter, drench underhalf with berries and pour the rest over the top half, add a lot of heavy whipped cream.

Serve warm for supper.

My notes:

I mixed in the butter with two knives.
I greased the pie pan with cooking spray.
I put heavy cream with a bit of honey added into the blender for under a minute to make whipped cream.
Delicious!

7 comments:

  1. I love the "drench underhalf with berries" part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My, I was going to write a comment about how delicious this looks but I have to go get a paper towel to wipe the drool off the computer keys first. Yummmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two have some of the most delicious-looking suppers I've ever seen! This one looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks scrumptious, we love strawberry shortcake and will have to try this. This also gives me the opportunity to tell you that I was so happy to find your blog because I was actively trying to remember the name of a Connecticut author I once enjoyed reading so many years ago...and it was Gladys Taber...your blog appeared and ended my search for the name. So, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great recipe! And the photo is beautiful. Love the Fiesta plate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nan - Great photo as always. You make me want to come visit just for the food (oh, and the flowers, and the landscape, and the animals, and so on!).

    About the tag cloud question you posted on my blog, click on this link, then scroll to the comment section. I asked for help making that tag cloud and one of my lovely commentors was kind enough to help out!

    Let me know if you have any questions. My email is SharingMyStory at yahoo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks yummy, Nan! I was away at the weekend (at the Romantic Novelists' Conference in Sussex) and came home to find that my husband had picked our entire gooseberry crop - about a pound! - and made Gooseberry Fool. It was gorgeous and a lovely surprise. I think I'll keep him!

    Nicola
    www.nicolaslade.com

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.