Saturday, August 30, 2008

Saturday Sally/August 30



Sally: a brief journey; an excursion or trip.

When I was a girl, we'd hop in the car on a Sunday and go visit people, and I've been thinking that I'd like to offer this as a weekly or occasional blog entry. At first I thought I would call it Sunday Visits but I realized that Sundays are pretty full with Aisling's Sunday Stroll. By the time I walk, and photograph, and post, I've already spent a fair bit of time on the online journal, and if I add in a Sunday Supper, well, you see, I just didn't want another Sunday blog activity.

And then the word, sally, popped into my mind. I looked it up to be sure it meant what I thought, and I was happy to see it did. I love the way the two words flow together, Saturday Sally. And sally is such a cheerful sound, a cheerful word. You don't hear it much anymore as a child's name but I find it delightful. Sally. It sounds like sunshine.

On these Saturday Sallies, I am going to post a link to words I've read or photos I've seen that I found wise or funny or interesting or moving. I'm going to limit myself to three each time I post a Saturday Sally.


A while ago I wrote a book report on Reeve Lindbergh's new book. Here is Marcia's wonderful review of the book, and I hope between the two of them you are prompted to go out and find a copy for yourselves.


I find magic in Colleen's photographs. Check out this one at a local eatery. She shows the greatest beauty in things we may overlook in our daily lives.


I was very smitten with these pictures of Niagara Falls. To me they expressed the out of kilter feeling the writer had going back to a childhood haunt. It's something we all feel when we visit a scene from our growing up years.

And sometimes it happens in dreams. My dreams always, always take place in my childhood home or town, even with people who are in my life since then. For example, yesterday I was going through some of my mother's old photo albums, and came across wedding photos of the parents of an associate of Tom's. He's going to give them to her, and we both know she will be thrilled. Well, last night I had a dream where I offered the pictures to an aunt of this woman, whom I had known growing up, and we were in my high school gym. I was walking along the floor calling her name. Because her nickname was "Mickey," I was singing merrily, "Hey, Mickey, you're so fine; you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Mickey."

Well, go ahead, analyze that!

9 comments:

  1. How fun Nan!! I'm off to explore our Choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nan, thanks for the comment. Just posted another butterfly picture. Enjoying the learning process. My book is on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Nan. :)
    Saturday Sally. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely idea, Nan. I enjoyed visiting the blog you linked to (that I don't already have bookmarked) and will return for future visit.

    I love Saturday Sally!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've nominated you for a bloggy award! See it here! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a lovely sally! Thanks for the wonderful links. And the Philip Larkin below is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just LOVE your Saturday Sally post idea, Nan! Hey, you were lucky over at everydaywoman, in case you didn't hear!
    Ruth
    http://everydaywomanusa.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's kind of amazing how one blog or link leads to another - and I'm soo happy for your entry today as I read and click and love what I see! Thanks you!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.