Friday, August 15, 2008

Friday Finds/August 15

My Friday Finds this week:

1. Shutting Out the Sun: How Japan Created Its Own Lost Generation by Michael Zielenziger, which I read about at In Spring it is the Dawn. It sounded so fascinating to me that I bought it immediately, and hope to read it soon.

2. Travels with Charley: In Search of America by John Steinbeck. Though I read this book a long time ago, the review on the 60 going on 16 blog made me want to read it again, and soon. A few years ago, my friend Les and I were going to read this together. Maybe we'll do it in 2009. What do you think, Les?

3. The newest collection of poems by Maxine Kumin called Still To Mow, which I saw on the shelf at the library. I've already posted two poems, and will share another before I return the book. She is such a wonderful poet, with a kind heart and warm spirit. The title comes from John Gardner: "When you look back there's lots of bales in the field, but ahead it's all still to mow."

2 comments:

  1. I'm game, although I'd be more apt to get to it this December since I already have a book club selection each month with the exception of December. Of course, I could always start in Dec. and continue on here and there throughout the early months of '09. As I recall, it's a fairly quick read, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Travels with Charley! Great book. My review is here if you are interested. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.