Friday, August 1, 2008

Friday Finds/August 1

My Friday Finds this week:

1. The Sittaford Mystery by Agatha Christie, which I read about on Geranium Cat's blog.

2. He Went for a Walk by Dorothy Evelyn Smith. I couldn't find Lost Hill, which I mentioned last week, so I picked up this one at the library. It's a fascinating idea. A little boy's father is killed in the Second World War; his mother is grief-stricken and then enlists, leaving her son in the care of a woman. She's okay as a caretaker, but not great. One evening she goes downstairs in the apartment building to a party with her boyfriend. The little eight-year old decides to go out for a walk, and while he's away, a German doodlebug destroys the building, killing everyone inside. He is exhausted and lays down to sleep in a car he finds. A young man who has run away from the service because he cannot kill, steals the car, and drives off. That's as far as I've gotten, but doesn't it sound good?

3. Two other books I've just begun were suggested to me by Mary Lois because of my enjoyment of her book about Fairhope, and my love of Rick Bragg's writing.

The Poet of Tolstoy Park by Sonny Brewer
Families, A Memoir and A Celebration by Wyatt Cooper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.