Friday, February 29, 2008

Quote du jour/Anne Herbert

Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no libraries.
Anne Herbert, The Whole Earth Catalog

I love libraries and librarians. The ones I know are simply wonderful. Tom just picked up some books I had asked for through Inter Library Loan, just about the best program I can imagine. I ask for a book. The librarian looks for it throughout the US, orders it, and I have it. Anyhow, the librarian said, "oh, just in time for the snowstorm." (supposed to come tomorrow) Of course. That's exactly what we need if we are cooped up inside while the snow is falling outside. Librarians understand this love, this passion for reading we have. The titles, you may ask?

A Slight Trick of the Mind by Mitch Cullen
A Crooked Kind of Perfect by Linda Urban
Address Unknown by Kathrine Kressmann Taylor
Iris, Messenger by Sarah Deming

5 comments:

  1. I love the inter-library loan. Also love my library. Enjoy your books tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the Vancouver Island Regional Library, which is every library on the Island outside of Greater Victoria and we are the 'net'. I simply sit down and order and then I get notification by email and pick up the books. In our library about ten years ago, the shelf for 'holds' would be about four feet long - now, it is six times that at least. The internet and the cost of books has done it. Plus the ease of ordering books! I love libraries and librarians too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love libraries too. When I lived in St. Louis there was a huge one but I actually prefer small cozy ones and if they are old and smell a little musty - I'm in heaven. The one we have here in Chapel Hill is small but so special because it is elevated so when you are in the glassed in open reading room the trees are at eye level. I donate my used books there and of course buy more at the annual book sale.

    Such a happy place - like a friend you can always count on.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the qoute. I needed that. Since I retired I find the library a wonderful place to dwell in.
    Hugs Eva Agnes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the quote (naturally). And, yes, interlibrary loan is just the best thing. I have a good friend who just moved from our branch to be the supervisor of outgoing interlibrary loan for our whole system. She likes her job but is just simply worn out. Lots and lots of lending to other libraries happens and we, of course, get lots of books from other systems.

    I love my work. I feel that I have finally come home and I get to talk books all day long and it is "normal"!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.