Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A Nonfiction Meme

The Non-Fiction Meme

I was glad to be tagged by Dolce Bellezza because I love nonfiction. I own a lot more nonfiction than I do fiction. I am apt to re-read nonfiction, or at least go back to certain parts, more than I re-read fiction.

a). What issues/topic interests you most in non-fiction (i.e, cooking, knitting, stitching, there are infinite topics that have nothing to do with novels)?

I have a whole bookcase devoted to home and gardening books; wildflower identification books, bird books, how-to gardening books, and books about home and garden in general. I have two shelves in the big bookcase of just biographies. If you looked at the them, you'd see a large diversity of topics, from Julia Child to Theodore Roosevelt to Seabiscuit to P.G. Wodehouse. I own more than a few books about places, such as Italy, Scotland, England. I also love cookbooks, especially those that have stories along with recipes. I love reading nonfiction essays, such as those by Stuart McLean or E.B. White.

b). Would you like to review books concerning those?

No. I'll do an occasional 'book report' on this blog, but not what I think of as reviews.

c). Would you like to be paid or do it as interest or hobby? Tell reasons for what ever you choose.

No, I would hate that. I think it would spoil my joy in reading if I 'had' to write a detailed review. This is the same reason I wouldn't want to be a movie critic. I like to simply enjoy.

d). Would you recommend those to your friends and how?

I guess my blog is where I recommend books, but I have learned that mostly people read what they want to read. Reading taste is so personal that I am reluctant to recommend as such. I will write that I love a book, and maybe give the reasons, and then the reader can decide for herself if this is something she would like to read.

e). If you have already done something like this, link it to your post.

I guess the best thing would be to click on one of my reading journal topics on the sidebar.

f). Please don't forget to link back here or whoever tags you.

Done, at the start of the post.

Now, to hear from you. Tell us please, what nonfiction is your favorite?

Rather than choose specific people, I will just say that if you haven't done this meme and would like to, please do so on your blog.

6 comments:

  1. Now, wildflowers and gardening...those areas are just NOT skills of mine. Although I do appreciate them in others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would dearly love to browse your bookshelves!!!
    I'm not sure what was asked of people who have their own blog at the end of the article, I don't have one as yet but I clearly find my life richer by reading the blogs that I have discovered!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This meme made me take stock of my bookshelves. I think I am a non-fiction reader for the most part too. I hadn't ever thought of this before. I have such limited space that I only keep books I think I will read again. I'm still running out of space. :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bellezza, that's what the books are for to give me skills! :<)

    K, those words were mine. Many people list or 'tag' others to do the blog, but I decided to just let whoever wants to do the meme to do it. Please do let me know when you have one, okay?

    Lisa, there doesn't seem to ever be enough space, does there? When we finish books, we often give them to the library for their annual sale, unless they are books which we just love, or will want to look into again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound like you have wonderful books! I can't say I read more nonfiction than fiction, but the two are pretty balanced. I have just finished reading Daily Life in the United States, 1920-1940 and also Ghost in the Little House. I have an interlibrary loan waiting for me to pick up (a media studies book by Henry Jenkins). I love American/British history 1880-1914 and homefront WWII the best; also certain biographies. (The two people I have the most biographies about are Louisa May Alcott and Walt Disney. Also love reading about Teddy Roosevelt, my favorite President.) I collect Christmas books that are not crafting or recipes, so I have many books about the history of the holiday, legends, and customs.) Oh, yes, and three shelves full of English linguistics books, including ones by Mario Pei, William Safire, and Richard Lederer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, forgot to add--so good to meet another Gladys Taber fan. I keep my Taber books next to my bed!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.