Friday, August 17, 2007

The Joy of Baking/Frosted Brownies


As the year turns toward fall and winter, each week I'm going to bake something on Friday. The title is an homage to the wonderful Joy Of Cooking cookbook. My copy is very special to me because my husband gave it to my mother many years ago. Today's entry is:

Frosted Brownies

Preheat oven to 350º F.

1 cup butter melted over low heat with 4 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups sugar.
Add and mix well:
1/2 cup sour cream
4 eggs, slightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla

Stir in 1 3/4 cups flour mixed with 1/2 teaspoon salt

Spread into a greased 15 x 10 pan, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Do not over bake.
Cool completely.

I frosted them with the whipped cream mixture that I am so wild about this summer, but you could also use a confectioners sugar frosting.

Frosting:

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups whipping cream

Combine sugar, cocoa, and cream. Chill in the fridge for at least an hour. Remove and whip until stiff. I use the blender, and it takes less than a minute.

5 comments:

  1. Those brownies look truly sinful, Nan, but delicious I bet. I love my Joy of Cooking too. My DH had my rebound for me and put my initials on the cover! No matter what I want to cook, the Joy never lets me down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum! My mouth is watering - I love brownies! (Okay, yeah, anything chocolate...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peg, what a dear man he is. Recently we've been making the popover recipe from Joy of Cooking,and they've been perfect each time. Maybe I'll feature them in the blog. :<)

    Kris, they are good, but not my favorites. They were more fudgy than I like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The brownies look delicious. I've enjoyed having Fridays as my baking days... although I have to admit that I've taken many weeks off when I've been busy this summer. I've already been thinking of my baking plans for the fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember you like to bake on Fridays, Joanne! It just seems like a good day with the weekend coming up, though as evidenced by the muffins, I'm happy to bake any day.:<)

    I've been looking over your old Homespun Samplers. I kept a lot of them and they are truly wonderful. I wonder if you might make a blog of them? Or incorporate them in one of your current blogs? I think people would love reading them.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.