Saturday, August 18, 2007

Gladys Taber's Blueberry Muffins

This recipe came from the late Susan Stanley's extraordinary Gladys Taber website. I have spent many hours there over the years.

Blueberry Muffins

2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
4 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons melted shortening
1 well beaten egg


Reserve 1/4 cup flour and dredge 1 1/2 cups of the berries in it. Mix dry ingredients, combine liquids and add quickly to dry ingredients. Drop by spoonfuls into buttered muffin tins and bake twenty-five minutes in a hot oven, 450 deg.F.

This makes twelve muffins, and is enough for three ordinary people, so it must be doubled for our brood. G.T.

Nan's notes:
I used butter, as I always do, instead of shortening.

Don't you love that word "dredge?" Here's a picture of the dredged blueberries. The touch of color is the reflection of the orange mixing bowl.


The finished product!

Delicious!

9 comments:

  1. I wanted to climb right into my computer screen when I saw that muffin with the melted butter on top. I am definitely going to use this recipe to make these muffins next week. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so very welcome! They are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some blueberries left, just the quantity that is needed for this recipe, and I am now going to make these muffins. Thank you for the recipe!!
    Have a nice Sunday! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this recipe! I just bought some delicious blueberries on Friday, and these muffins would make a wonderful treat for the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blueberry Muffins - is there a better muffin? Thanks for the Gladys Taber website, I will visit it immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am missing one of my cookbooks and it has my wonderful blueberry muffin recipe in it. I think I will get out a bag of the berries I just froze this season and make this recipe. I need to find one I like once again. Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for taking the time to comment. I am quite positive you will all love this recipe. I'd like to hear what you thought after trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, yum, yum! I'll have to make these, they'd be very popular around here.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.