Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sunday Supper/Lace-Edged Cornmeal Batter Cakes

I love this cookbook. The author illustrates many of the recipes, and includes little facts from the past. One of my favorite recipes, Philpy or rice bread, comes from here. We made these for the first time tonight, and they are delicious!

Lace-Edged Cornmeal Batter Cakes

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup boiling water
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
Butter for frying
Maple syrup or honey

Place the cornmeal in an ovenproof bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Let it stand 10 minutes.
Combine the cornmeal with the flour, salt, baking powder, egg, and milk in the container of a food processor or blender. Process until completely smooth.
Heat just enough butter to coat the bottom of a nonstick griddle or skillet. Ladle on enough batter to form thin, 3-inch cakes. Cook until golden brown and crisp on both sides. Serve hot with maple syrup or honey.

My notes: I used the blender, and an electric frying pan sprayed with cooking spray.

You can see the lace edge here.

And these little holes will fill right up with butter and maple syrup. Yum!

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to check online right now if my library has this book! I just love cookbooks that combine recipes with little stories, facts, quotes & cute illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not even show me these beauties at 7:50 in the morning before I've poured a bowl of Lucky Charms. So to speak. I really should get back into more cooking. I wish I could lift one of these lace edged treats right off the page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute cookbook! The libaray doesn't have this one- already checked - but has a few others by her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to each of you for writing. Your comments delighted me!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.