Friday, June 27, 2008

Housework/Bathroom

Just before our youngest child arrived in 1985, we created a second bathroom and a bedroom upstairs from what was an attic, where one time I saw a rat. Well, all these years later, the bathroom has been repainted and wallpapered only once. That shiny new bathroom where my babies played happily in the tub has turned into an un-cleanable and tired looking space The time has come, and this summer we're (well, honestly, Tom is) doing it over. We just bought a new tub, and have decided not to get a tub-surround because it won't fit through the doors or windows, and also because I don't want those seams again. So we are going to tile the tub walls. We're going to put in a new floor, and get a pedestal sink without a cupboard underneath. We've had some trouble with mice getting in there from the back, so this will solve that problem. It isn't a big space, and we aren't making a mcmansion bathroom. No whirlpool, no walk-in shower, no separate and lovely clawfoot tub. We're going simple, but clean and new, the two most important things to me. Here are some before pictures, and I'll be posting more in-progress shots as the days go on.

The first two pictures are of a little floor closet Tom got rid of in March. It was claustrophobic to get into, and the nearby space is narrow to walk through.





3 comments:

  1. I see you have a little supervisor checking the work:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be fun to watch the progress on this project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow I missed this post. Must've been while my folks were in town visiting.

    What a coincidence that you're re-doing your bathroom, too. We had our old tile shower torn out and replaced last month. Still waiting for a new shower door and the fixtures, but the tile is up and looks pretty. Not a McMansion remodel here, either. Just clean and leak-free!

    Next year I'd like to do exactly what you've done with our main bathroom. I don't like the shower-surround and the seams that never stay caulked. I'm want a tub with a nice tile surround. Nothing fancy. Just clean and appealing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete

I am really going to try and respond to your comments as soon as they come in! I'm so grateful for your notes.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.