Sunday, August 26, 2007

Sunday Supper - IHOP French Toast



On Sunday evenings we quite often have "breakfast for supper" and I thought I would begin a weekly note with the recipes. I got this recipe from a cooking list online over four years ago. I had recently seen the movie, I Am Sam and in that film, the main character loves eating at IHOP. I had never heard of this place and I assumed it was a local restaurant in the movie. Now, you won't believe this, but just this month I found out it stands for International House of Pancakes, which I have heard of. The people who told me were amazed I hadn't known. :<)

IHOP French Toast

2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 Tablespoons flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 or 7 slices bread

It calls for French bread, but I just use my own bread.

Slice bread into thick slices.

Beat the eggs in the electric mixer. Add the milk, vanilla, flour, and salt. Be sure all the flour is combined.

Heat a large skillet (I use an electric fry pan). When the surface is hot, add a teaspoon of butter (I use cooking spray) and coat well.

Dip the bread slices in the egg mixture and drop into the pan. Cook approximately 2-3 minutes each side or until golden brown. Repeat until all bread slices are cooked.

Slice bread diagonally (or not) and dust with confectioners sugar. Serve with butter and maple syrup.


I love this recipe. It is one I've used over and over again, and it is always great.

4 comments:

  1. At first sight I thought "wonderful a new recipe"....but then I noticed that it is exactly what we call here in Switzerland "Fotzelschnitte". It is a very old recipe for using old bread which is a little dry and hard. When we were children we usually had this for supper in the evening and we loved it. Instead of maple syrup (which at that time we didn't know) we have scattered sugar with cinnamon.
    Have a nice day! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. French Toast - one of my favourites! We also often have 'breakfast' food for the evening meal on cold days, or days we have been extra busy or, or - just when we want a little comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love french toast! Particularly with real maple syrup. Have you ever made it with Challah bread?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting that it includes flour. I've always made my french toast with eggs, milk and occasionally a little splash of vanilla. I'll have to try this with the flour and salt and see if I notice a difference.

    Too funny about IHOP! Amy practically spent her entire high school years eating there after football/basketball games. It's quite an affordable hangout with good food.

    I loved I Am Sam, by the way.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.