Thursday, March 1, 2007

Today's Poem - Animal Crackers by Christopher Morley

Animal Crackers
by Christopher Morley

Animal crackers and cocoa to drink,
That is the finest of suppers I think;
When I'm grown up and can have what I please
I think I shall always insist upon these.
What do YOU choose when you're offered a treat?
When Mother says, "What would you like best to eat?"
Is it waffles and syrup, or cinnamon toast?
It's cocoa and animals that I love most!

The kitchen's the cosiest place that I know;
The kettle is singing, the stove is aglow,
And there in the twilight, how jolly to see
The cocoa and animals waiting for me.

Daddy and Mother dine later in state,
With Mary to cook for them, Susan to wait;
But they don't have nearly as much fun as I
Who eat in the kitchen with Nurse standing by;
And Daddy once said, he would like to be me
Having cocoa and animals once more for tea!

6 comments:

  1. Cinnamon toast for me! Especially on "Nan's Homemade Bread" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't you the dearest thing! But then again, you've never tasted it. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes I have! I baked your bread last weekend. Just haven't blogged about it yet. Wait 'til you see the pictures! :) My brother's family got half a loaf and LOVED (read: devoured) it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't be more pleased! I'm quite delighted because my daughter has just expressed an interest in learning how to bake bread. The tradition continues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting, my father used to read this poem often when I was growing up in an old farmhouse in CT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I memorized all of the poem in the 4th grade. My teacher was a spinster who loved reading and literature. I still remember some of the lines. I am now a grandmother and in my 70's, and I am so grateful to my teacher for having us memorize many poems. They still are remembered, though we have grown old. I don't think children memorize poems anymore.
    I am a former teacher. When I taught 4th grade, I had my students memorize poems. When I taught Kindergarten, the poems were called finger plays. The children loved learning them and doing hand movements with them. Life was good.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.