Sunday, March 25, 2007

Today's cd/Let Yourself Go


Stacey Kent/Let Yourself Go/2000

Today's Stacey Kent cd is one of my favorites because I love Fred Astaire. It has the great songs you remember from his movies; They Can't Take That Away From Me, They All Laughed, I Won't Dance, I'm Putting All My Eggs In One Basket. I love the words in the Gershwin song, They All Laughed.

They all laughed at Wilbur and his brother
When they said that man could fly.
They told Marconi, Wireless was a phony;
It's the same old cry.


She wrote her own liner notes for this album saying:

Everything about Fred Astaire is infused with an irresistible, infectious joy. He also creates such a sense of intimacy that when listening to him, I feel as if he is singing for me alone.


These are just the words I'd use to describe Stacey Kent. Her joy in singing is indeed infectious. And each song feels like a personal story she is telling to the listener. I feel so lucky that she is in the world, singing these wonderful songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.