Friday, March 28, 2008

Whoopie Pies


This recipe was a real favorite when the kids were little, and Tom and I still love them. They are a bit different from some whoopie pies, in that the filling isn't marshmallow, but a confectioners' sugar frosting. Today I put in a little orange juice. You could also add lemon juice or some melted chocolate.

Whoopie Pies

Beat together:
1/2 cup soft butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 t. vanilla

Mix together:
2 cups flour (I used 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry, and 1/2 cup white)
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
6 T. baking cocoa

In the mixer, at low speed, add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternately with 1 cup milk.
Blend well.

Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet, and bake at 350º F. for about ten minutes, but check sooner. Cool on cooling rack.

For the filling:
Beat together 3 T. soft butter and 2 cups confectioners' sugar. Add milk as needed.

When cakes are cool, spread the flat side with filling and top with a second cake, sandwich style.

6 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I could eat about six of those right now with a hot cup of tea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have come to you via geranium cat. Love your header photo and the recipe looks great too. I live on a hillside in North Wales but with only two acres couldnt call it a farm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, I wish you were closer!
    Elizabeth, thanks so much for stopping by. Please come again, and I'll come over to Wales soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that your has a lot less filling than many you can buy...I think they overdo it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so pleased you came over to read the recipe, Caite. It has always been a big family favorite.

    ReplyDelete

I am really going to try and respond to your comments as soon as they come in! I'm so grateful for your notes.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.