Saturday, March 15, 2008

Irish Soda Bread



The following recipe comes from the Finding Fair Food blog. It is absolutely, positively the best Irish Soda Bread I've ever had. I used just raisins. And I soured the milk by putting a little lemon juice in the measuring cup, adding milk, and letting it sit a bit. Oh, and I used butter instead of shortening, but you probably already knew that. :<)


Irish Soda Bread

Preheat oven to 375°.

1 Cup all purpose flour
1 Cup whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar

Whisk the above ingredients together and put into the food processor. Add 6 Tablespoons chilled shortening and process until mealy. Then remove back into the bowl and stir in 1/2 to 1 cup raisins or dried currants or cranberries, 1 Tablespoon caraway seeds, and a few chopped nuts if desired (I don't think the Irish do this.) Gradually add 1/2 to 3/4 Cup buttermilk or soured milk and shape into a round loaf or put into a greased loaf pan.

Brush the top with milk. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. It looks yummy, too! Hope your readers like it as much as you and I do...

    Mary Lois
    Author, Finding Fair Food

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of ours is Irish. She makes an Irish Bric. I am probably not spelling that right. I get some of it every St Pattys day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way down here on your blog ~~
    I made this the other night and
    loved it. Thank YOU! I'm putting
    lemon curd on it.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Lois, I am making it for our Irish friend soon. He said he likes it the way I do, with raisins but no caraway. :<) I love recipes that offer choices. I plan to try yours with the cranberries, too.
    Lisa, what is Bric?? If it is bread, do you have a recipe?
    Bonnie, thanks so much for taking the time to write and say you made it. I have some lemon curd in the refrigerator I made just the other day. I wish I'd thought of putting it on the soda bread. Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. came straight over from Mari Nanci's to get this recipe...tx....

    I love to bake...

    ReplyDelete

I am really going to try and respond to your comments as soon as they come in! I'm so grateful for your notes.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.