Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Book Passage/The World According To Bertie

They pushed the door open and entered a narrow hall. At the side of this hall was an umbrella and walking-stick stand of the sort which is always to be seen in country houses - a jumble of cromachs [a Scottish walking stick with a crooked handle similar to an Irish shillelagh], a couple of golf umbrellas; and to the side, along with a boot scraper, mud-encrusted Wellingtons, a pair of hiking boots for a child, a tossed-aside dog collar and lead.
Alexander McCall Smith, The World According To Bertie

Round Hill by Pam Braun, 1998

3 comments:

  1. I like this quote and the picture just invites you inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa. It was just so British to me. I have bought some of Pam Braun's notecards, including this one. I love her work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely picture! I'm going to look out for work by this artist. The cat and dog remind me of ours, now sadly gone, who were constant companions, with the newly-arrived black and white kitten regarding the (male) dog as her surrogate mother.

    ReplyDelete

I am really going to try and respond to your comments as soon as they come in! I'm so grateful for your notes.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.