Thursday, May 24, 2007

A spring evening at the movies



One of my New Year's Resolutions was to go out to the movies more. I couldn't bring myself to leave the warm house during the winter, but last evening was a perfect night for a movie.

The little town we live in has a three-season theatre, and Tom runs the projector on Wednesdays for the early show. The first film of the season was The Lives Of Others.

I love spy stories and this was a great one. The movie begins in 1984 East Germany, before the wall came down, and ends in 1991. The drabness of the streets, the buildings, the interior decoration, the clothes are just amazing. They are like characters in the movie. There is little beauty anywhere. But we see that after the wall comes down, there is truly ugly graffiti on the formerly pristine buildings. Does this have to be a price of freedom?

I don't like to know too much about a movie before I see it, and I don't want to spoil the wonder of seeing it fresh for any of you, but I recommend it very highly. The acting is terrific, the story is very interesting, and we learn a lot. I can't ask for more from a film.

6 comments:

  1. Love your new header! I saw a note on Blogger this morning about adding a picture to your header and want to do the same... as soon as I figure out which picture really represents what my blog is about! You've picked a gorgeous one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nan - I just found your blog through Cornflower. I have read through a bit, will save bits for reading again, but I was so taken with your love of books - me too! I love the saying on the bookmark about selling a man a book! I will copy that and put it on my refrigerator.
    I have also copied your crisp recipe. I make it in about triple batches and then store it in the fridge and use it when I have some fresh fruit - have had two rhubarb and strawberry crisps already this spring.
    It sounds like I live north of you - I am on Vancouver Island. Oh yes, I am also a knitter!
    What type of chicks are you raising. Their colour is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Aisling! I love this new feature. I tried a bigger photo but I had to scroll across to see it all, so went with a smaller one. The criticism I read about blogger is that you couldn't fit the photo perfectly, but I don't really mind. It's just delights me to open it and see the lilacs!

    Thanks, Peg, for stopping in. The chicks are Dominiques. I wrote more about them here:
    http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/
    2007/05/farm-lifepullets-er-prize.html

    I'm pretty far north, with a last frost date of this coming weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous picture! It's just splendid. Glad you enjoyed the movie. I'm not really a go out the movie person either. I always end up sitting next to someone who is annoying with their giant popcorn! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lilacs are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kay and Robin! I think I'll probably change it as the flowers change, and then have some snowy scene for the winter.

    Kay, the popcorn at our little theatre is particularly good and it has REAL butter, not the fake stuff. Parmesan cheese is also offered. They have Green & Black's chocolate bars, too. Classy!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.