Saturday, May 5, 2007

Cinco de Mayo, 2007

On this Cinco de Mayo, we have the first Los Lonely Boys on the cd player.





And Margaritas for cocktails. There are lots of recipes, but my favorite is:

2 oz. Tequila
2 oz. Triple Sec
2 oz. lemon (my choice) or lime juice



And for supper, Bean and Potato Tacos.

I cook pinto beans in the crockpot or on the stove until they are soft. I then cook an equal amount of peeled, chopped potatoes.
In a large cast iron fry pan I sauté some chopped onions in olive oil. I add the beans and potatoes, and cook together at a low temp. I serve them in taco shells or on tortillas with lettuce, chopped tomatoes, salsa, and sour cream. You may grate cheese on top, if desired.



And for dessert, I made Chocolate Fudge Pie from my Heirloom Baking cookbook.

It begins:

We had to include this recipe in this chapter because we found it written on the back of a bridge tally. We were amused to see the columns labeled "We" and "They." After tasting this pie, we're sure that "We" and "They" must have liked it. Simple, fudgy, and great with vanilla ice cream, this is a pie that makes its own crust. A homey little dessert, it's easy to make, and seductively chocolate.

1/2 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 oz. bitter chocolate, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Set the oven rack in the middle position. Preheat the oven to 325º F. Cut a wax paper or parchment paper liner to fit the bottom of a 9-inch ovenproof glass pie plate. Coat the plate with vegetable spray, insert the liner, and spray again to coat the liner.
2. Sift together the flour and salt.
3. Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until thoroughly mixed. Add sifted dry ingredients. Add chocolate and vanilla and combine.
4. Pour batter into pie plate. Bake approximately 30 minutes, or until tester inserted into center of pie comes out clean. Pie will have cracks on top. Cool pie on rack. (Pie may collapse slightly while cooling.) Serve slightly warm at room temperature with vanilla or chocolate ice cream. Store loosely covered with wax paper in the refrigerator.



Every part of this evening was perfect, and perfectly delicious!

6 comments:

  1. Yum! It all looks delicious. Great music to go along with it, too. :) And sunshine! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was lovely, Les. How nice if you could have been with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! This chocolate pie sounds and looks divine! Just a question regarding the butter - it's melted first and then creamed with the sugar? I guess I'm used to creaming with softened butter so I wanted to check. This looks so easy to put together I'd love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Tara, you melt it, and let it cool just a bit, and then beat it with the sugar. It really is easy, and delicious! Thanks for stopping by. If you like baking, this cookbook is simply wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello again -

    I tried this pie yesterday (it was still a little cold and windy here in Wisconsin - perfect for baking!) and it was indeed homey and delicious! But I guessed at the number of eggs - is it 2? It worked just fine with 2, but I wondered if it might take 3? I might make another tomorrow, since the first one was gone in a flash!Thanks again for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alison, thank you for letting me know I had left out the eggs in the ingredients list! I just edited the post. It is indeed two eggs. I'm glad you liked it so much.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.