Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Farm life/Pullets-er Prize




Their new home -





And this is what they will grow up to look like -



Today was arrival day for the new chicks. They were born on Monday, packed up into a box, and mailed from a hatchery in Missouri. I let the Post Office know they were coming, and a fellow called this morning saying they were there. They are living in a big box in the cellar, with a heat lamp, a feeder, and a waterer. In a few weeks, they will move out to the barn. We have Dominique chickens, a breed which was rare just a few years ago, but now is coming back. In Bailey White's Quite A Year For Plums, there is a character who does a painting of them which is exhibited at a big show. They are said to be America's oldest, original chicken. You will sometimes read of them referred to as Dominikers. Our girls are delightful creatures, very good layers, long-lived, hardy, and just plain cheerful. We only get hens, also known as pullets. We had a rooster once, but he was a mean one. He scared the kids, and would go after us if we went near. We gave him away to someone who was duly warned. That rooster went after his daughters, and the man shot him. Occasionally we are asked if we can get eggs without a rooster, and the answer is yes. They aren't fertile, that's all.

8 comments:

  1. Your farm life is endlessly fascinating to this city girl! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New babies! How exciting! Congratulations on your new brood. They are sweet little girls (and boys).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post and the title is great-- made my morning--along with Cat Stevens' song, which I remember when it first came out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are really living my dream Nan! I have said this before to you. I have always wanted to live in the country and have a nice view. I also dream of having chickens running around in my yard. Enjoy your adorable new additions to the family and even more, enjoy the fresh and tasty eggs they produce for you.

    Check out my blog for more about the sparrows in answer to your question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nan,
    Congratulations on your new babes. I love the pictures. Do keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone for your nice comments. The little ones have already grown so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nan, just reading this gets me all stirred up again. I really should stop doing this to myself. I will just have to live vicariously regarding these lovely creatures. Ha... It won't be long and those little chicks will be huddled up together in boxes at Rural King and TSC. I love going in there and just watching them. I am sure the store people think I am a nut case. They might not be wrong. tee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, maybe you should just get a couple and see what happens. Or, as I said, you could move! Then maybe people would think you were a nutcase. 'oh, yeah, that's Lisa who gave up her great home and garden so she could have chickens!!!'

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.