Monday, May 21, 2007

Strawberry - Rhubarb Crisp

First rhubarb of the season!




Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp

Note: You can use frozen strawberries, and you don't need to defrost them first.
Note 2: Delicious!


Enough rhubarb and strawberries to cover the bottom of an 8-inch square pan, in the proportion of your choice.
Sprinkle with 1/3 cup sugar.

Topping:
1 1/4 cups rolled oats
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
A dash or two of nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted

1. Preheat the oven to 350-375°F.
2. Combine the rhubarb and strawberries in a greased 8-inch square baking pan. Sprinkle with the sugar.
3. Mix together the topping ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Distribute the mixture over the top of the fruit, and pat it firmly in place.
4. Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top is crisp and lightly browned and the fruit is bubbling around the edges.

5 comments:

  1. Nan, You make me wish I liked Rhubarb. I sort of like it in Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp, but not enough to ever seek it out. Yours looks pretty! I keep thinking I should just plant a few plants, because I like perennial crops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you used more strawberries and less rhubarb? And maybe the addition of the sugar sprinkled on top might sweeten it? I tend to like sour things like rhubarb, cranberries, lemons. It is a wondrous plant even if you never picked the rhubarb stalks. If you don't cut it, a great big flower comes up out of the plant, and it's pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks absolutely wonderful! I'm going to pick up some fresh rhubarb and strawberries and try it out on B! We haven't had rhubarb anything for years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MadreKarin, thanks for visiting. I stopped by your blog, and will definitely be spending more time there. As a kid, I ate raw rhubarb just for that tartness. :<)

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.