Sunday, May 13, 2007

Quote(s) du jour for Mother's Day

Being a mother is the only "job" I ever wanted, and because I feel it is such important, meaningful, and necessary work I am offering many quotes du jour, many different ways of looking at this blessing of being a mother. And on this day, my heart is full for two mothers I know; one my friend since childhood, another my internet friend of ten years, both of whom have lost a child, the very worst sorrow in this world.


Becoming a mother makes you the mother of all children. From now on each wounded, abandoned, frightened child is yours. You live in the suffering mothers of every race and creed and weep with them. You long to comfort all who are desolate.
Charlotte Gray

A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path.
Agatha Christie

The greatest love is a mother’s;
Then comes a dog’s,
Then comes a sweetheart’s.
(20th century) Polish Proverb.

A mother should give her children a superabundance of enthusiasm, that after they have lost all they are sure to lose in mixing with the world, enough may still remain to prompt and support them through great actions.
Julius C. Hare

A mother is a person who, seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.
Tenneva Jordan

A mother's example sketches the outline of her child's character.
Mrs. H. O. Ward

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.
Elizabeth Stone

A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials, heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine, desert us when troubles thicken around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.
Washington Irving

With my mother's death, all settled happiness, all that was tranquil and reliable disappeared from my life. There was to be much fun, many pleasures, many stabs of joy, but no more of the old security. It was sea and islands now; the great continent had sunk like Atlantis.
C. S. Lewis

4 comments:

  1. I love the quote about as a mother your child being your heart walking around outside your body. How very true! Thinking of all mothers everywhere today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. Thank you. I love the Elizabeth Stone one as well; I've heard it before and believe it to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful quotes, Nan, this post just fills my heart.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.