Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Q and A session - cookies and G. Taber

Here is my first question and answer session. These are the ones I've had in my head for a while. If you have asked a question, and I haven't answered, please let me know, and I will do so.

1. In October (!), arcadian advocate asked:

can you please post what you reckon to be the best choc chip cookie recipe ever

Well, those sour cream choc chip ones are certainly one of the top favorites, though I did say about Alton Brown's: "they just may be the very best I've ever tasted." If you want oats in them the choc chip oat cookies are "outstanding," and if you like toffee bits, then you might want to try these. So, I am really no help at all in terms of a definitive answer! In fact, I have a recipe I haven't yet posted on whose card I wrote: " the best I've ever tasted- use exclusively for choc chip cookies." I'll make these soon, and let you know if they measure up to those words I wrote years ago.

2. I can't find the post where I was asked the following questions, but I know that Mary has waited a long time for the answers. First, she wanted to know where the Gladys Taber quote at the top of my sidebar comes from. It is from a book called Stillmeadow and Sugarbridge, 1953. I read it shortly before beginning my blog in November, 2006, and those words seemed so fitting. Second, she wondered about Gladys' books in general. Here is a website that lists each book and the date it was published. I have read a few, but by no means all. I own only one, having borrowed wonderful old copies from the library over the years. The time has really come to buy some for myself. Many of them are monthly writings, and I like to read them in that way.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the information about Gladys Taber. I've requested the appropriate book from the library and look forward to reading it. GT is new to me.

    md

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Just read your comments query - I ask myself those questions all the time. I go back if I can and check if the person responded - but a lot of the time I "wander" the internet and sometimes I forget where I went. Sometimes I comment long after the posted item (like the orange cookies). Maybe we bloggers are making up blogetiquette as we go along?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being another stay-at-home sparrow I'm glad to know where the quote came from. Another book to add to my enormous list of 'must reads'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to you I have just found this lovely author. I have just purchased 'Cape Cod' off ebay and I am loving it. I shall definitely look for more; unfortunately my library doesn't stock any of her work along with May Sarton which I think is a real crime.

    Anyway thanks again for introducing me to this author and many more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nan
    I have a question for you!! Is Gladys Taber a bit Eliz. Goudge-ie?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Nan, I do love your blog.. have I not visited you before? I think we are soulmates as you sound just like me. I love all the new to me book/author recommendations/recipes/music etc and our tastes are the same. I love my own company too and am a home bird just like that sparrow.
    Perhaps I should reply to comments in the blog post like you are suggesting, seems a good idea.

    I will call again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nan,
    It probably seems like I dropped off the face of the earth! Anyway, I think a while back I asked you about Wodehouse (unless maybe I just "asked" the question in my head!). I would like to read his work and am wondering where you suggest to begin?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never found a more delectable chocolate chip cookie than those produced by the recipe on the bag of Nestle's chocolate chips! I add nuts and they are heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary, I'll be so interested to see what you think.
    Susan, the nice thing about moderating comments is that when someone comments on an older one (like the o. cookies) I don't miss it.
    Scriptor Senex, Gladys Taber is very much a New England writer, though born in Wisconsin. She writes about home life, rural life, family, dogs and cats, etc. I think she is so wonderful.
    Jennifer, it must depend on the library for my two local ones have lots of her books. And I'm a May S. fan, too!
    Dulce Domum, I wouldn't say so, though maybe in outlook. Though G.T. wrote fiction, she is really best known for her nonfiction tales of her life in Connecticut and on Cape Cod, Massachusetts.
    Cait, I think you may have, and the feeling is mutual!
    Alison, here's a good Wodehousian site to visit: http://www.smart.net/~tak/wodehouse.html
    I can't really say where to begin - just dive right in anywhere, and you'll find yourself in a cheery world.
    Mary Lois, the recipe I haven't posted yet is Hershey's. :<) I actually always use Ghiradelli chips so I should try, and then post their recipe sometime.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.