Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Today's song / Morning Has Broken




This is the song playing in my head and heart on this most perfect of mornings. Beautiful sunshine, temperature in the low 70s, and the lovely new green color coming on the trees and plants and lawns. The air is full of birdsong. The bubbly voices of the swallows, the incredibly lovely music the plain brown song sparrow sings, the spring song of the chickadee. "God's re-creation" indeed.



Morning Has Broken

As sung by Cat Stevens (now known as Yusuf Islam)
Words: Eleanor Farjeon
Music: Bunessan, Gaelic melody

Morning has broken like the first morning,
blackbird has spoken like the first bird.
Praise for the singing! Praise for the morning!
Praise for them, springing fresh from the Word!

Sweet the rain's new fall sunlit from heaven,
like the first dewfall on the first grass.
Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden,
sprung in completeness where his feet pass.

Mine is the sunlight! Mine is the morning
born of the one light Eden saw play
Praise with elation, praise every morning
God's re-creation of the new day!

Morning has broken like the first morning,
blackbird has spoken like the first bird.
Praise for the singing! Praise for the morning!
Praise for them, springing fresh from the Word!

10 comments:

  1. My, you've brought back memories today! Our guests sang "Come to a wedding" at our wedding ceremony to the tune of Morning has Broken. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Tara, would you mind sharing the words? I bet it was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite Cat Stevens!! How nice to listen to it and look at your lovely photos this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite songs. Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nan ~ That's one of my favorite songs! How nice to find it as I was catching up with your blog. And, I just love those baby chicks you received. How sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's a link to it; click on Come to a Wedding:

    http://www.weddingguide.co.uk/articles/wordsmusic/hymns/Hymn-MorningHasBroken.asp

    I thought it was beautiful, and a little different as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to echo the others. It's a favorite of mine also. One of the memories I have associated with this song is the first Easter we lived in our neighborhood. There are several churches within walking distance and when one of them had sunrise services on their lawn, the pastor sang this song during the service with a fully opened microphone. It rang out loud and clear on the crisp morning air. It was a lovely serenade that woke us that day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nan,
    I just love this song. It reminds me of my younger days when we'd go to the beach on the first day of spring to greet the sunrise and sing this song. We generally froze to death!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post! Is the first photo of a lupine (before it blooms)? Looks vaguely familiar to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tara, I couldn't get to the site, but I did find it here:
    http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c311.html
    Beautiful words (and music) to start off a marriage.

    Vicky, what an amazing story. It must have been such a nice surprise to hear.

    Les, it is a lupine. They are all popping out of the ground now. I'll try and post photos when they flower.

    Thank you everyone for your comments. It truly is one of the most beautiful songs.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.