Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Quote du jour/Louisa May Alcott


If you dear little girls would only learn what real beauty is, and not pinch and starve and bleach yourselves out so, you'd save an immense deal of time and money and pain. A happy soul in a healthy body makes the best sort of beauty for man or woman.
Louisa May Alcott, Eight Cousins, 1875

We read words similar to these today. What just astounds me is that Louisa May Alcott wrote them so very long ago. What's the French phrase? Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose; the more things change, the more they stay the same. Must we hear them over and over again and yet never learn, never take them to heart?

5 comments:

  1. What is the saying, there is nothing new under heaven or earth? Woman are never happy with how they look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I just couldn't believe it was going on way back then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you read about Joshua Bell in Washington , DC, the renowned violinist, who played as a street musician:

    http://www.charlotte.com/155/story/103213.html

    TOO Busy for Beauty

    Bonnie
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that quote, Nan! It saddens me, though, that throughout history women have been torturing themselves so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, that is just incredible. Thank you for telling me the address. I simply cannot believe it. When I go to a city I always listen to the street musicians. I think about how Madeleine Peyroux used to do this, and wonder if any of them will be famous someday. I guess people passed by him the same way they pass by the poor. Sad.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.