Sunday, May 27, 2007

Blink-Of-An-Eye Rhubarb Pie


This recipe comes from Mrs. Chard's Almanac Cookbook Hollyhocks & Radishes.

Blink-Of-An-Eye Rhubarb Pie

In just a couple blinks of an eye, you'll have a really good dessert... rather like a nice, crunchy, butterscotch brownie. It works with apples, too. Serve warm, topped with whipped cream or ice cream.


1 cup diced rhubarb
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (I used pecans)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 350º F.

Place diced rhubarb in a medium-sized bowl. Sift flour and baking powder over top. Add sugar, nuts, vanilla, egg. Mix altogether and spread in a buttered, 9-inch pie plate. Bake 25-30 minutes.

My notes: I just mixed everything together. My 9-inch pie plate said 1 quart on the bottom. The only reason I mention it is that my other 9-inch said .75 quart. I decided I'd go with the bigger one and it worked well. I used vegetable spray for the pan, and dotted the dessert with butter. This was excellent, and I didn't even have whipped cream or ice cream. I plan to make it again this rhubarb season.

4 comments:

  1. My Mom spends part of the year on the Upper Peninsula and I've thought of buying this cookbook for her since I believe the author lives there? Is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Tara. Here's a site:
    http://hunts-upguide.com/
    les_cheneaux_islands_detail.html

    Scroll down to the bottom of the page. It's a really lovely cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nan - I remember that! I am glad you are enjoying the cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicky, I've used it a few times. Such a nice cookbook.

    ReplyDelete

I am really going to try and respond to your comments as soon as they come in! I'm so grateful for your notes.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.