Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Another spring evening, another spy movie


Tonight the movie was Breach, and oh, was it ever good. As I said last week, I love spy movies. This is based on a true story of an American agent who turned against the US. It stars the great Chris Cooper as the aging spy. We see him in all his complexity; a devout Roman Catholic who adores his grandchildren, yet feels overlooked by the agency and sells secrets to the Russians. Ryan Phillippe plays the young "clerk" who looks forward to becoming an agent someday. Laura Linney is the person who leads the investigation of Cooper. A nice treat was seeing the star of the short-lived, but much-loved Wonderfalls, Caroline Dhavernas as the wife of Phillippe. The movie comes out next month on dvd.

9 comments:

  1. Ohh! I want to see this. I never heard of it, but I love Chris Cooper and Laura Linney... I will put this on my radar! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this when it was in the theater. It is a very good movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't it great, Carol! And Laura, I think you'll really like it. Ryan Phillippe isn't so bad, either. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great, Nan, I'm adding it to my Netflix queue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love spy movies too, this one sounds like a must-see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rapunzel and Grace, I think you might like last week's movie, too, The Lives of Others.

    http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com
    /2007/05/spring-evening-at-movies.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never thought I'd like a spy movie with such little action so much, but you're right that this one is a real winner ... Cooper was amazing as usual, and young Mr. Philippe is developing into a pretty good actor in his own right

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reel fanatic, I agree. I liked how the Phillippe character developed during the movie. I particularly like Chris Cooper in Lone Star.

    ReplyDelete
  9. we loved this movie and am glad to see someone review it finally! ran across you via britgal sarah.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.