Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Today's cd/Close Your Eyes


Stacey Kent/Close Your Eyes/1997

This is Stacey Kent's first album, and in the words of Humphrey Lyttelton, who wrote the liner notes:

I can't conceive of a more auspicious debut than this.

The song playing is the Haven Gillespie/J. Fred Coots song, You Go To My Head, which has one of the best lyrics ever:

You go to my head
with a smile that makes my temperature rise
like a summer with a thousand Julys
you intoxicate my soul with your eyes


I just love that, "a thousand Julys." What is better than July? The middle of summer, the peak of the flowers, no August, no fall in sight. Pure bliss. I do love all the seasons, but there is something about July that is very special.



Another offering is the beautiful, More Than You Know by Vincent Youmans/Billy Rose/and Edward Eliscu. And the cheerful Cole Porter, It's Delovely. I love I'm Old Fashioned by Jerome Kern and Johnny Mercer:

I'm old fashioned
I love the moonlight
I love the old fashioned things
The sound of rain
upon a window pane
the starry song that April sings


This is a cd you can put on and bring sunshine into a gloomy day. Great songwriters and an excellent singer. It doesn't get any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am really going to try and respond to your comments as soon as they come in! I'm so grateful for your notes.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.