Sunday, March 18, 2007

Hummus


This is our very favorite hummus, which we have made for over 30 years. You can increase or decrease the garlic according to your own taste. I used to mash the chickpeas/garbanzos with a potato masher, but now I use my food processor which is so much better. It comes out beautifully smooth.


Hummus

Cook 1 cup of dry chickpeas/garbanzo beans in water for as long as it takes to make them soft. It can be a few hours, or shorter, if you soak them overnight. You can use a crockpot, if desired. When cooked, drain off the water.

I use Joyva brand sesame tahini, and it needs to be mixed up before adding to the hummus. I put the whole can in the food processor, mix it well, remove it, and measure out 1/2 cup to use in the recipe.
Refrigerate the rest, but use it soon.

Put 2 cups of chickpeas in the food processor. Mix.
Add 1/2 cup tahini. Mix.
Add 1/4 cup olive oil. Mix.
Add 1/2 cup lemon juice. Mix.
Add 1 teaspoon salt. Mix.
Add 4 cloves of garlic, which has been put through a press.

Mix again well.

You can eat it plain, or as a salad with lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts, or
in a sandwich.

Recently we've spread it on baked pita bread.

Preheat oven to 350º.

Split pita bread into wedges, place on cookie sheets, and brush with olive oil.
Optional: sprinkle with salt.
Bake until golden and crisp.

This is so delicious, nutritious, and filling. One of our favorite, favorite meals.

7 comments:

  1. Okay, I will be right over!! This looks amazingly good! My husband just got a food processor, so I will ask him to make this for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will love it! Let me know when you make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks scrumptious!! We love hummus and I will have to make this for Erik and me.

    Unless you do mail order.......

    ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sure looks pretty. Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of hummus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Les, I wonder if you've ever made it yourself. Both my husband and daughter can't stand any from restaurants or in stores. They say they're bland, and to quote my daughter upon eating one store-bought variety, " it tasted like water - had no flavor." If you want to take a chance and make this recipe, it might change your mind. It truly is a whole different food when it is homemade. Like homemade chocolate chip cookies and Chips Ahoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nan, A very similar recipe . will add a link to your post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.