Thursday, March 15, 2007

Cynthia's Banana Bread



This is one of my favorite cookbooks. It has passages from the Mitford books, followed by a recipe for the food mentioned. The note on this banana bread comes from A New Song. The bread is quite wonderful, with a nice hint of lemon.


Cynthia's Banana Bread

3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup softened butter
2 eggs
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 large bananas, mashed with a fork
2 Tablespoons lemon zest, I used zest of one lemon
2 cups flour, I used 1 cup white, 1 cup whole wheat pastry
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a 9 x 13 pan.

Place sugar and butter in the mixer, and cream until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs.
Add yogurt, lemon juice, bananas, and lemon zest.

Mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
Turn down mixer and add dry ingredients.

Add chopped nuts.

Pour into pan, smooth the top, and bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes, then invert onto the rack to cool completely.

4 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about making some banana bread this weekend!!

    Have you considered using the "label" function of Blogger? I would love to be able to click on something like "recipes" to see all of the ones you've posted without having to scroll through all your archives. Just a thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about doing a search? Like say, "bread". I did it, and all the bread recipes I had posted came up. Along with quotes that mentioned bread and my MacIntosh' love of bread! I'll look into the label thing sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I typed in "recipe" and came up with quite a few (you used the word within your post). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad! That'll save me some time. :<)

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.