Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Heather's Brown Rice Patties


This recipe comes from Heather at beauty that moves. The rice patties are delicious. We've made a lot of patties over the years, from soyburgers to grainburgers, and these are the best we've ever tasted! Her recipe follows with my notes in parentheses. Tom puts tamari on his and I use either leftover tomato sauce or a little catsup.

Brown Rice Patties

3 cups cooked brown rice (I used short grain)
1 cup grated carrot, grated in food processor
1 medium onion, grated in food processor (I used the hand grater)
2 cloves minced garlic, minced in food processor (I put garlic through the press)
1 t salt (I left out both the salt and pepper, and seasoned them after cooking)
½ t pepper
2 eggs
½ cup whole wheat pastry flour

Vegetable oil of your liking for frying (I used olive oil)

If you do not have a food processor you can use a box grater instead. Just make sure any onion juice makes it into the bowl, lots of flavor there!

Combine all ingredients except the oil. (I whisked the eggs, and then added everything else to them) If you have the time to make this in advance and let it sit for a bit the garlic and onion flavors will blend even more, but it's not necessary, just nice. If the patties don’t hold together because they are too dry then add another egg. If they are too wet add a little flour.

Heat a frying pan or griddle on med - med/high heat until hot and add oil. (I used the electric frying pan)
Use a ¼ cup measuring cup to scoop out the rice mixture and gently lay them on the frying pan.
Use the back side of the measuring cup to flatten out each patty.
Cook until golden brown on each side.
You might want to keep the oven on 250 (mine was at 200) with a baking sheet (and I used the plate in the photo) in there to put the finished ones on as you cook the rest. Enjoy!

Addendum: I now sauté lightly the onions and garlic before mixing them in.

11 comments:

  1. That is the type of recipe I've been looking for. I need some alternatives to eating meat all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a bunch of recipes over on the sidebar, if you are interested, Larry. Under Main Meals. Hope you find something you'll like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a fabulous recipe. Thank you for sharing it, Nan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nan, they look so good I could eat them right now.
    I will definitely be making those later. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so yummy. Don't you just love Heather's blog? It just radiates peace & goodness. And her house. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids (and husband) liked these rice patties.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious! We used to make rice patties with cheese, but we don't to have had them for a long time - I must out in a request to the cook!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm so glad you like them!! ;)

    i'll have to try them with red sauce, sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karin, thanks. And today I just changed it to a late August bouquet. :<) The patties are wonderful.

    It is great, Kay.

    Rattling On, I'd love to hear how you like them. I could eat them everyday!

    Les, I do. I think her photographs are the best - they have a filmy, dreamy quality that I love. You know they've bought an old farmhouse in Vermont, right? Much like ours on the same number of acres.

    Sarah, we love them!

    Geranium Cat, I'll have to let Tom know - he might want to put some on top. He's the cheese fan in this house.

    Heather, I thank you so much! This recipe is now one of our staples.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I'm going to come over and live next door. I love your bookshelves and your recipes. I'm going to try this one at the weekend.

    Believe it or not my word verification word was 'grams'

    ReplyDelete
  11. Come ahead, Scriptor Senex! We had leftover rice patties last night with homemade french fries - vegetarian burgers and fries. :<)

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.