Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sunday Supper/Corn Meal Waffles


This comes from one of my very first cookbooks, published in 1951, and then again in 1971, when young people were wild for whole wheat and natural foods (some of us still are!). It is Cooking With Wholegrains by Mildred Ellen Orton. You may recognize the name from my recent posting on clotheslines. She and her husband, Vrest Orton were the original owners of The Vermont Country Store.


Corn Meal Waffles

1 cup corn meal
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons honey
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup melted butter (she called for shortening)
3 egg yolks, well-beaten
3 egg whites, stiffly beaten

Mix together flour, corn meal, baking powder and salt.
Add egg yolks combined with milk, honey, and butter.
Fold in egg whites.
Bake on hot waffle iron, sprayed with cooking spray, and serve with butter and maple syrup.
Delicious! Perfect!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man those sound yummy! I have to dig out my waffle maker or get myself to the store to buy a new one. I've been dreaming of waffles lately.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.