Monday, October 27, 2008

Muffin Monday/Barney's Banana Muffins

Continuing with the Mayberry theme, today's muffins come from Aunt Bee's Mayberry Cookbook.

Barney's Banana Muffins

1 1/2 medium bananas, mashed
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup melted butter (recipe calls for oil, but you already know that I always use butter!)
1 Tablespoon water

Melt butter.
In large bowl, beat the egg, and then add the other ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
Pour into greased muffin pans.
Bake in preheated 375º F. oven for 10-12 minutes.
Makes a dozen.

This is the first time I've made these muffins, and boy are they good.

We're having them with corn chowder.

Corn Chowder

My corn chowder breaks all the rules. I don't use any fish/meat base. I don't use milk. I use only potatoes, onions, and corn.

Saute a small onion or shallot in 1 T. butter or olive oil (or a mix of each) in soup pan.
Add 2 1/2 cups chopped potatoes (peeled or not, your choice) and cook just a bit with the onions.
Then add 3 cups water, bring to a boil, and simmer on the stove.
When the potatoes have softened, add 1/2 of a 10 oz. bag of frozen corn and cook a little longer.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Because Tom likes milk, I remove my portion, and he puts in some milk. This is a good amount for two people. When the kids were home, I doubled it.

13 comments:

  1. Nan
    Oh my, I am going to look in my frig to see if I have any frozen bananas so I can make these for my meal. I hope I do.
    On your vote posting, I would add vote for Obama!
    He's coming to our town tomorrow and we are so excited but the word is there won't be room for everyone to get in.
    Thanks for the food inspiration today.
    Mim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your lovely comment on my getting older blog and came over to say hi and thank you. Isn't it interesting to feel that connection across the world?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a yummy recipe. It seems like you are always baking something wonderful! Your house must smell like heaven! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a really yummy muffin! I've copied the recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nan I love corn chowder. I break the rules and usually add a small amount of milk. On top sprinkle some cheese and chopped bacon.
    So many of your recipes are similar to my many favorites that I prepare over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that's one of my all-time favorite cookbooks! I like to bring mine out and just peruse the pictures and captions--takes me back fifty years. And anything which does that is a wonderful thing, indeed. :) Thanks for sharing! Blessings, Debra

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this cookbook - it is so cute. I wish I lived in Mayberry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you see that commercial that Andy Griffith and Ron Howard made for Obama. I linked it on my blog but you could also you tube it. I found it very clever though awfully disconcerting as my Dad looked so much like Andy Griffith!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nan, you've got a bunch of really great recipes to try here. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a hungry child home soon and bananas in the bowl, it took 20 mins or less from reading the recipe to testing the muffins (I had to test them :) ) they are incredibly quick and easy and taste delicious !!!! Thank you...
    Very sweet without tons of sugar and fat lovely

    ReplyDelete
  11. I HAVE THIS BOOK BUT I HAVE MISPLACED IT. I HAVE BEEN MAKING THESE BANANA MUFFINS FOR YEARS THEY ARE THE BEST I HAVE EATEN. MY 5 YEAR OLD GRANDSON ASK ME THE OTHER DAY IF I KNOW HOW TO MAKE BANANA BREAD AND I THOUGHR RIGHT AWAY OF THESE MUFFINS BUT DIDN'T KNOW WHERE MY RECIPE BOOK WAS SO I WAS GLAD TO SEE IT POSTED ON HERE I WILL BE SEEING MY GRANDSON IN ABOUT 3 WEEKS THEY LIVE IN ANOTHER STATE SO I CAN'T WAIT TO MAKE THEM FOR HIM HIS DADDY LOVED THEM WHEN HE WAS YOUNGER.MAYBE IT WILL BE PASSED ALONG IN THE FAMILY. I HOPE I CAN FIND MY BOOK SO I CAN MAKE MORE RECIPES AND BRING BACK MEMORIES THANK YOU A HAPPY GRANDMA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you found this post after all this time!

      Delete
  12. Even in the UK I’ve managed to get this recipe book.....we have never had the TV programme over here but the recipes sounded great.....

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.