Friday, October 31, 2008

Friday Finds/October 31

I have a number of great Friday Finds this week.

1. A Maigret book by Georges Simenon called Lock 14 which you may read more about here.

2. The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stuart. More here.

3. Our Man in Havana by Graham Greene; review here.

4. Home and Away: More Tales of a Heritage Farm by Anny Scoones, though I want to read her previous one first, Tales of a Heritage Farm; review here.

5. I heard about this on NPR and ordered it the same day at my local bookstore, and they've just called to say it is in - Speaking For Myself: My Life From Liverpool to Downing Street by Cherie Blair.

6. The fourth Enola Holmes is out with yet another great title: The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan. If you are interested in learning more about this great series, you may click "Book Reports 2008" on the sidebar, and scroll down to Nancy Springer.

8 comments:

  1. I can second the recommendation of The Mysterious Benedict Society. Quite enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered The Mysterious Benedict Society this week too! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoy the FRIDAY FINDS, Nan! I love them, too! :)

    My mental TBR piles are straining, though! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We go to Anny's farm each Friday to buy eggs - Glamorgan Farm is only about a mile from here. Anny was leading one of the horses in from the pasture and went to collect 12 eggs for us, all different colors and sizes, fresh and warm from under the hen.

    I know you'll love both her books. "Home" was the first one, and I think she's writing another now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the mention, Nan. I can't wait to hear what you think of Tales of a Heritage Farm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nan and Les

    a tiny bit more I wanted to mention about Glamorgan - Heritage Farm. I wrote a bit about the Healthy Harvest gardeners in my Zen Diary

    http://jishozen.blogspot.com/2006_09_01_archive.html

    The chapter "Blue Moons" in the first Home book tells about this group of six mentally and physically challenger adults. Their vegies and flowers always accompany our eggs from Anny. The best ever.

    Do read that chapter about David's blue moon melons - it's so lovely - pg 15

    I like this first book far better than the second, maybe because there are people and places and animals that I know

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm enjoying your blog so much I had to add you to my list of favorites on my blog. I hope you don't mind. I wanted to be able to click on to your recipes easily. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.