Monday, December 31, 2018

December books

I really am going to try and write some book notes about the books I read each month, and who knows, maybe I will even write a whole entry on one book, like my book reports of earlier years. We'll see.


59. Sunday the Rabbi Stayed Home - book 3 in the Rabbi Small series
by Harry Kemelman
mystery 1969
Kindle
reread
finished 12/3/18
American writer/American setting

60. Monday the Rabbi Took Off - book 4 in the Rabbi Small series
by Harry Kemelman
mystery 1972
Kindle
reread
finished 12/8/18
American writer/American setting


In the marathon jotting down of my monthly books, I said how much I love the Kemelman books. I hadn't read them for many years, but I do remember how much I learned about what it means to be Jewish. And reading them again continues to teach me. There is a mystery in the books which is solved by the Rabbi using his education. A fascinating concept for a book series. 


61. The Christmas Letters - A Novella
by Lee Smith
fiction 1996
reread
finished 12/8/18
American writer/American setting


This is the fifth time I've read this dear Christmas book. I wrote about it eight (!!) years ago here.


62. Tuesday the Rabbi Saw Red - book 5 in the Rabbi Small series
by Harry Kemelman
mystery 1973
Kindle
reread
finished 12/14/18
American writer/American setting


The Rabbi Small books are set in the 1960s - 1990s. We see how society changes and how those changes affect, or don't, the Jewish life. In just about every book one or more of the temple board of directors want to get rid of the Rabbi, for various reasons. 


63. Christmas in London
by Anita Hughes
fiction 2017
Kindle
finished 12/18/18
Australian writer (now lives in US)/English setting


I first read about this book here. It was a little romance-y, a little bit like a couple of Katie Fforde books I've read, and I don't mean that as a criticism. I liked the story, the characters, the descriptions of food and of places, and of course the setting! 


64. Christmas in Nuala- book 5 in the Inspector de Silva series
by Harriet Steel
mystery 2018
Kindle
finished 12/19/18
English writer/Sri Lanka setting (Ceylon in the story)


I've already written about how I enjoy this series. More, please!


65. Wednesday the Rabbi Got Wet - book 6 in the Rabbi Small series
by Harry Kemelman
mystery 1976
Kindle 
reread
finished 12/23/18
American writer/American setting


66. Thursday the Rabbi Walked Out - book 7 in the Rabbi Small series
by Harry Kemelman
mystery 1978
Kindle 
reread
finished 12/28/18
American writer/American setting


Every book is different, though they all take place in a fictional Massachusetts town. I don't read many books with a New England setting. I'm going to search out more. In a couple books the Rabbi goes to Israel, which also makes for very interesting reading.


67. Conversations with Rabbi Small - book 8 in the Rabbi Small series
by Harry Kemelman
fiction 1981
Kindle
reread
finished 12/31/18
American writer/American setting


Now this one was not a mystery. The Rabbi and his wife have gone to a resort for a little vacation. She leaves to visit her father who is in the hospital. Two of the young guests come to visit the Rabbi, and they have a million questions about what it means to be Jewish. Just so interesting to me. Kind of funny to be reading these books during the Christmas season, but there is a lot about Christianity, as well. 

Addendum: Not sure what happened with the font. I copied and pasted some, so that's probably why. I like the font.

10 comments:

  1. I have the first Rabbi book on my Kindle and am planning to read it in January. I can see how much you like them so am looking forward to it tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think!! I'm tickled that you are going to read it.

      Delete
  2. I want to read the first Rabbi Small book, you make the series sound charming. Christmas in Nuala sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is charming - that's a good word. There are other Nuala books. I really like them.

      Delete
  3. I am very glad to see your comments on the Rabbi Small series. I am planning on reading through the series. I read #2 in December, and will go back to #1, then continue. I think I read the first seven around the time they came out (roughly) but am pretty sure I never read the later ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I would have loved to do that! I've read they were New York Times' best sellers. They are certainly educational! And I found the mysteries to be good ones.

      Delete
  4. Nan, I always loved the Rabbi days of the week mysteries! The whole set is part of the books I kept when downsizing. And I started reading them again earlier this year, spread out between other books. I think I'm on the 4th one now. I wasn't aware of the Conversations book. I'm kind of in shock that I found someone else who likes these old mystery books too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I read one of the Rabbi Small books way, way back. Long before blogging, etc. Maybe in the '80's? Not sure I'll read any again, but I'm glad you're enjoying them. I meant to read The Christmas Letters again (think I've read it at least 5 times or more), but time go away from me. I've been listening to two Herman Wouk books - The Winds of War and War and Remembrance for a January book club that I'm moderating. I read those years ago in the era of 'big books'. They are taking me forever to get through, but I'm enjoying them. Think there are over 100 hours of audio between the two books. I've got until January 15th. Chug, chug...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, what is the "theme" of this January meeting. I'd love to have you do what you did last year and send me the list of your monthly groups. I would love to join in sometime.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.