Saturday, December 1, 2018

Virtual Advent Tour - December 1

I asked for December 1 in the Virtual Advent Tour so that I could tell you about something very wonderful on the internet that you can get today! Do you know about Jacquie Lawson email cards? If not, you may visit here. I first heard about the site when two friends sent us the same Christmas card (nearly 20 years ago!). I was totally wowed, and truly still am. It is quintessential England to many of us in the US. You may see it here. If you have trouble seeing it, that may be because until recently the cards depended on Flash. You can make it work by following the pop-up directions for your browser.

For many years now the site has offered an Advent calendar. This year's is here. You do not have to be a member to get the calendar. It is a wonderful way to mark the days coming up to Christmas.

Once you buy the calendar (this year it is $4.99), you have it forever. Ours are stored in our Applications folder. We have many years of Jacquie Lawson calendars there, and over the past couple years, Hazel Nina has enjoyed them tremendously. She even knows how to open the folder and find the calendars, even though she doesn't read yet. We've spent many hours with her on our laps, and now she sits by herself, having so much fun.

The one below is is a special amusement that we bought from the JL site. It's all about a circus. Not sure if it is still available, but there are others like an English garden that you can buy.


After all these years of playing with the past Advent calendars which were all completed, I don't think she would much enjoy the actual day by day opening of one window during Advent! But Tom and I dearly love these annual calendars, and I think you will, too!

14 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I've been thrilling to Jacquie Lawson's Advent Calendars for about 8 years now, and I have saved them all, too. What a joy they are!! And so reasonably priced. I give them to lots of friends every year, who look forward to them as well. You are so right to spread the word about them. Enjoy your new Edinburgh Advent Calendar this year, as will I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so delighted that you like them, too!! That is the wonderful thing about the internet- finding people who share your interests. If I were to say "Jacquie Lawson" to anyone I know in person, they would have no idea what I was talking about!! Thanks so much for letting me know!

      Delete
  2. I’ve used Jacque Lawson for years! I love it, which is no surprise I’m sure, Sometimes when I need a little dose of smiles I’ll go there and just sample different cards myself, They always make me smile. (And I do send them to others pretty often.). The Advent calendars are great, although I haven’t used them for a few years. Since even my great-grandboys are big kids now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not surprised that you love the site - you're right! Hazel is the first child who has ever seen the calendars. My kids were grown up when I started buying them. I don't even send the cards to that generation because unless I text and say I emailed you, they rarely check their emails. haha. I think you'd like this year's calendar.

      Delete
  3. Some years ago, my sister-in-law sent me a very beautiful JL card around Christmas, it was enchanting and I played it over and over again. No wonder Hazel likes those Advent calendars, I'd like to play with them, too ��

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving this year's Edinburgh calendar. It's nice to think of people around the world enjoying the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one and I buy them for my grandchildren....This year Sofia who loves animals is enjoying playing the Scottish Animals matching game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found the site a couple of months ago online when I was too sick to get out and shop for cards. I've since used them for Halloween and Thanksgiving and for the first time I'm going to send them instead of snail mail Christmas cards for the most part. For around $14 a year this is a bargain and the cards are all so pretty. I hadn't made up my mind about the Advent calendar yet but now feel like I certainly will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so amazing how littles can figure out stuff on the computer. Their experiences are so different from our childhoods. (I remember my youngest when she was 3 or 4, typing her 'letters'. She was able to change colours and fonts and she would type on a word processing program.)
    My aunt used to send the Jacquie Lawson cards to us at holidays (Christmas, Valentines, etc) and they are so lovely. I didn't realize about the advent calendars as well. Lovely post Nan!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.