Friday, December 21, 2018

The Last Books ...

I found this here, and she got it from here. I could be vacuuming and/or writing cards, but this looks like too much fun to put off!

1. The last book I gave up on
 Greenglass House by Kate Milford.

2. The last book I reread
 Tuesday the Rabbi Saw Red by Harry Kemelman.

3. The last book I bought
 Lovely Beasts: The Surprising Truth by Kate Gardner. For the grandchildren this Christmas.
The last book I bought for myself
 From a Distance by Raffaela Barker.

4. The last book I said I read but I actually didn't
 I've never said this. Ever.

5. The last book I wrote in the margins of
Not since a college textbook! I don't write in books.

6. The last book I had signed
Gosh, probably a Tomie dePaola book when the kids were little.

7. The last book I lost
I assume by "lost" it means, loaned to someone and never got it back.
Can't recall the last one, but there have been a few over the years.

8. The last book I had to replace
Hollyhocks, Lambs, and Other Passions: A Memoir of Thornhill Farm by Dee Hardie. I couldn't bear to ask for it back. I love the person I loaned it to too much to ever do that. Let her enjoy it. I've got a new one.

9. The last book I argued over
I don't think I have ever argued over a book. But a book I was given by a friend because she loved it, and I just couldn't read more than a few pages:
 A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. That friend reads my blog so, yes, I will try it again, I promise!

10. The last book I couldn't find
I have a few of them because I moved shelves of books to other places when we got Tom's mother's dolls. I plan to do a post on them sometime. Seven shelves of books were distributed around the house, and I don't know where they are. When I look for one, I go right to the shelf it was on! The last one I was looking for is The Jewel Garden by Monty and Sarah Don. One of my first jobs in the New Year will be to organize my books, and put them together in some kind of order so I can find them again! I don't want to do one of those organizational online things. I tried it once and I thought I'd rather spend the time reading than typing out all my books and where they were in the house.

If you want a few minutes off from the Christmas bustle, you might give this a try. I enjoyed doing it a lot!

28 comments:

  1. I started A Man Called Ove and quickly stopped reading it too because he was so grumpy but decided to try again since everyone loved it. It ended up being my favorite read of last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! What a great encouragement that is! Thank you for letting me know!

      Delete
  2. I listened to "Ove" on audible , and really enjoyed it, but it took 2 chapters before I made up my mind to continue. I'm sure glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for telling me!! When I try again, I shall stick to it longer. I hope my friend is reading the comments!

      Delete
  3. I love this! Now, my terrible memory is driving me crazy. You gave me Hollyhocks, Lambs, and Other Passions, didn't you? I loved it but I wish you had asked for it back. I passed it on to another friend a few years later since I didn't think I would read it again. And was it I who gave you A Man Called Ove? If not, I do have to tell you that I absolutely loved it. The movie is good but the book is so much better. Now for my turn to do this fun meme. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fun MeMe but as my reading has slowed down so much this year, due to the eye operation mainly, I shall not write it up for myself.
    It happens very rarely that I love a book, recommend it to someone and they in turn do not enjoy it as I did. Most of the time I simply write a review on here and already know most people won't be interested in it - the current one is such an example; I did not "love" it myself, so writing the review does not mean I recommend it; it is more to keep track of what I've been reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you sure know that I was interested in the Year of Miracles book! Tied with another for my fave fiction I read this year!

      Delete
  5. Well, I haven't read any of these books, so it wasn't me - ha! I keep meaning to try the Ove book, but haven't so far. This is a fun little meme, but think I'll pass. I'm really enjoying my blog break way too much. It's funny how just when you and Les get inspired to post more, I hit the brakes a bit. Ah well. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that the little ones are in school more, I have more time to post!

      Delete
  6. What a fun idea and fun post! I may give this a try now that I’m done posting about the 2019 challenges I’m taking on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It takes awhile to get into A Man Called Ove but I persisted because my sister and my niece highly recommended. I ended up loving it. I found this meme interesting but probably don't have time to try to remember right now. I finished sending out Christmas cards, a tradition I continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another person! That's three, I think who didn't think they liked it, but ended up loving it. Yay! I still have about 2/3 of my cards left to do. I love writing cards.

      Delete
  8. I too have "lost" a lot of my books in my home. When I moved the books were just plopped on the shelves in no order and now I can't find them because I look at where they are supposed to be! Maybe I'll follow your lead and do something about organizing in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we'll see if I actually do it, or just spend some time walking around and seeing where everything is. Once I look enough, I should remember!

      Delete
  9. Just popping in to say Merry Christmas, Nan. My family arrive tomorrow so will not be around much for a few days. Will definitely read the first 'Rabbi' book early next year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas to you.
    My husband gave me OVE which was recommended by a dear friend. I couldn't finish it tho everyone insisted I would love it. It still sits next to my bed. I really like this entry. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I wonder if that will be my reading fate, too! Thanks so much for telling me! And Merry Christmas to you, too.

      Delete
  11. A Man Called Ove is a gem, not to be missed! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. This does sound like fun, Nan! I also find book trivia informative. I have made a mental note of some of the books you mentioned. A Blessed and Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was fun to read! Stopped by to wish you and yours a merry and blessed holiday season, and another beautiful year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots of fun reading yours, Nan! Mine are:
    1. a book from GW that didn't interest me enough to even remember the name
    2. I'm rereading the goudge trilogy about the Eliots of Damerosehay right now, almost finished with first one, Bird in the Tree.
    3. The Book of Days for Christians by Richardson Wright, I love book of days books and this one was wrongly listed on Amazon as ....for Christmas. Not sorry that I got it though as I collect his books and I'm reading each short entry at bedtime and they are pithy.
    4. me neither
    5. I confess, I write in almost every book I read, even highlight. That makes them not worth anything for resale so maybe my kids will actually keep them and read them some day when I'm gone!
    6. Billy Collins' poetry book when he was in Nashville, I mailed it to my blog friend Poppy in Crete.
    7. Only those I left behind for a yard sale when we moved, most of which I wish I had back!
    8. The Shell Seekers by Pilcher. And I too have the Dee Hardie book, it's falling apart I've read it so many times. Miss her so much.
    Okay, that's as far as I'm going because James Mason is growling at me saying "time to go outside and potty, Mama."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to do this! Very interesting. I don't think I've told you, but we knew Dee H's son, Todd. We used to travel over to the next state and buy 60 pound tubs of honey from him. He doesn't do it anymore. I think he makes mead.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.