Monday, December 31, 2018

Today's poem by Emily Huntington Miller

The last verse of this poem was on December 31, 2018 (the only day from the old year) of my 2019 The Old Farmer's Almanac engagement calendar. I buy one every year and keep it beside the computer. Everything goes in there. Vet and farrier and shearing appointments, amounts of blueberries we buy, and amounts of eggs the chickens are laying. Along with family birthdays, always circled, and anything else that comes up. 

I had never heard of Emily Huntington Miller. You may read more here


         New Year Song

They say that the year is old and gray,
That his eyes are dim with sorrow;
But what care we, though he pass away?
For the New Year comes tomorrow.

No sighs have we for the roses fled,
No tears for the vanished summer;
Fresh flowers will spring where the old are dead,
To welcome the glad new comer.

He brings us a gift from the beautiful land
We see, in our rosy dreaming,
Where the wonderful castles of fancy stand
In magical sunshine gleaming.

Then sing, young hearts that are full of cheer,
With never a thought of sorrow;
The old goes out, but the glad young year
Comes merrily in tomorrow. 

Emily Huntington Miller
American poet
1833-1913

12 comments:

  1. No, I hadn't heard of her, but thank you for the poem and the link! I love finding new-to-me poets! Happy New Year, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too! This calendar is full of things like this. I'll share more this year. It is a lot of fun. And the same to you!

      Delete
  2. A nice choice for a New Year's Day poem....Happy New Year to you and your wonderful family, Nan. And Happy Reading, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Fresh flowers will spring where the old ones are dead," that's something to remember when I let fear of the unknown months ahead creep in, because of course I want fresh flowers. Happy New Year, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this! I love learning new things and I enjoy following links to learn and explore new people, books, etc.

    I hope that you have a very happy NEw Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read it, and leave me a note. And the same to you!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely poem. It seems the time of year to read poetry, revisit what you love and reach out for the unread. I've gone back to Dylan Thomas listening to those Welsh voices. The Celts who have a way with words and lyrics. The cadence and rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so like what you wrote. After my father died, I gave my mother an album of Dylan Thomas reading his work. Such a powerful voice. You've probably seen/heard this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mRec3VbH3w

      Delete
  6. I have never heard of this poet, but I love this poem! I just noticed the new additions to your sidebar. "Our House" is one of my favorite songs and the photo of your home is lovely. I also like that image of the two children on the sled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your words, and for noticing! Tom took the photo.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.