Saturday, December 15, 2018

Paul Hollywood's Soda Bread

I bought this book after I started watching The Great British Bakeoff. This is the first thing I've made from it. I went online and got the US equivalents for the British measurements.

Soda Bread 

500g (2 1/2 cups) plain white flour, plus extra for dusting

1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (what we call baking soda)

1 tsp salt

400 ml (13.5 oz) buttermilk


I didn't have quite enough buttermilk so I used some regular milk.

1. Heat (we would say preheat) your oven to 200º C (395º F) and line a baking tray (cookie sheet) with baking parchment (we say parchment paper) or silicone paper. I used parchment.

2. Put all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix well, then stir in the buttermilk to form a sticky dough. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and shape it quickly into a ball. Flatten the ball a little with your hand.

3. Put the dough on the baking tray. Mark it into quarters, cutting deeply through the bread, almost but not quite through to the base. Dust with a little flour.

4. Bake for 30 minutes or until the loaf is cooked through - it should be golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on the base. Leave it to cool on a wire rack. Soda bread is best eaten within a day of baking. It freezes well.



It looks pretty darn good! But I could hear Paul telling me I could have baked it just a wee bit longer. Though the picture below is blurry, you might be able to see it is a touch underdone. 


Also, instead of an all-purpose flour, which I think is the equivalent to what the British call "plain", I used what I've learned from GBBO, is "strong flour."  


I guess I just assumed this would be right. Next time I might try the all-purpose, or part all-purpose. Also, he says you can use half wholemeal (whole wheat) which I will definitely do next time, though I wanted to make it his way the first time. And yes, I will make it again. It was so quick and easy and really delicious, even if it could have used maybe 5 minutes more in the oven.

You may visit Beth Fish Reads for more food related posts.

15 comments:

  1. Wow -- looks good, and I like the idea of making bread without fussing with yeast. Thanks for converting the ingredients list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Once I make a recipe, I jot down the US equivalents on the recipe page, so I don't have to keep looking them up.

      Delete
  2. Nice that you were actually inspired to get Paul's book and to bake from it. Although we are great fans of GBBS, we haven't bought any of the cookbooks or tried the recipes. This afternoon we just watched the Christmas special of GBBS with four returning contestants and the new group of hosts, replacing Mary with Prue. Very Christmasy challenges! I wouldn't dream of trying to make those.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also bought two of Chetna's and one of Nadiya's, and have cooked from them!! I'm looking forward to watching the Christmas one, but am just finishing up the latest of the GBBOs. I like the new crew immensely. Oh, and if you are interested, Mary Berry's new show is on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk2A6ltYquA

      Delete
  3. I think that if you are out of buttermilk, you could squeeze some lemon into your milk, let it sit for a few minutes and that makes it similar to buttermilk. Of course, don't let my Daddy know I ever run out of buttermilk! LOL! I might try to make this with rice flour/cornstarch mixture and it would be gluten free. Thanks for the recipe! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, and I used to do that before I found this next state over terrific buttermilk. This time I just didn't bother. I figured milk wouldn't hurt it any! But I thank you for telling me. I might not have known. I love household tips!

      Delete
  4. It looks delicious - a slice of it with a good cup of tea would be wonderful! I have made what the recipes called Irish soda bread for years on St.Patrick's Day. I put currents or raisins in it. Since my husband passed, I just don't have the heart to do it. He was of Irish ancestry and enjoyed it so much.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so understand why you don't make it anymore. This isn't Irish, so maybe you could call it Paul Hollywood's soda bread and eat it as a whole new thing, not connected with the past? You notice he didn't even mention that you make the sign of the cross to
      let the devil out!! Must not be a bit Irish! I'm full of it - both sides, and both parts of Ireland.

      Delete
  5. Nothing beats home-made bread, does it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to get this book ... maybe I will!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to make soda bread years ago, this reminds me I should try again. As I recall, it turned out to be good, best eaten right away as you point out. I should give it another try. I'd found a really tasty and easy recipe. I think it suggested you could add raisins. Because I've read about it here, I've watched GBBO a couple of times as I've flipped the TV channels. I enjoyed the little bit I saw, but my husband hated it. I always use the cooking hack of lemon in milk when the recipe calls for buttermilk since I never have buttermilk on hand, and I'm too lazy to go two blocks to the grocery to get it. I love the photo of your wreath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom doesn't watch it either - he can't bear the competition and people feeling bad. Even the people who don't win have gotten very famous. I follow a bunch of them on Instagram! So much fun!
      Just a few years ago this really good buttermilk showed up at the store so I buy it often. I actually did a post on it.
      https://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2013/03/buttermilk-blueberry-cornbread.html

      Delete
  8. I haven't made soda bread for years, but this does look delicious. I don't usually have yeast ahead and didn't usually plan to make yeast bread, so I made more soda bread than yeast ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delicious and so very easy! I hope you try it.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.