Thursday, December 13, 2018

August books

Please don't feel you need to comment on these book posts. My notes are short and sweet without giving you much information. If any book piques your interest, you could look it up on Goodreads.

August - 5

38. Murder in an English Village - book 1 in the Beryl and Edwina mystery series
by Jessica Ellicott
mystery 2017
Kindle
library book
finished 8/30/18
American writer/English setting

A new mystery series set in post World War 1. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and look forward to the second in the series! One of the women is an American adventuress and the other an English lady. They knew each other at school, and now circumstances have brought them together. I just loved the characters.

37. Death Sends for the Doctor - book 27 in the Thomas Littlejohn series 
by George Bellairs
mystery 1957
Kindle
finished 8/23/18
English writer/English setting

It didn't seem to matter that I began this terrific series at book 27. I so enjoy Chief Inspector Littlejohn, and have read a few others. I really can't get enough of these old mysteries.

36. Moving To The Country
by Reeve Lindbergh Brown
Reread
fiction 1983
print
finished 8/22/18
American writer/American setting


I read this book many years ago, and after seeing Reeve at my local library, I decided to find a used copy and buy it. I had told her while she signed my copy of her new one,Two Lives how much I liked her first novel. She seemed happy I had mentioned it and said it had been a while since she had read it. I liked it a lot. It is very true to the time period, and I expect a lot of it is based on her own life.

35. At Seventy
A Journal
by May Sarton
nonfiction 1984
print
finished 8/8/18
American writer/American setting

I had a reading scheme this year to read along with May as she went through the year following her 70th birthday. I tried, but it just didn't work. I ended up reading it all at one time, though I did write about the first month here. I so enjoyed this book, and after reading a part where a little movie was made of her, I went searching and bought a copy. It was wonderful to see her!

34. Dead Cold Brew - book 16 in the Coffeehouse mysteries series
by Cleo Coyle
mystery 2017
Kindle
finished 8/8/18
American writer(s)/American setting

I do so love this series. I have written many book reports about various books over the years. Even after all these books, I find the characters and stories as interesting and gripping as ever. There is a warmth to the series that one doesn't always find in mysteries. The reader really knows the characters and cares for them. Just lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.