Saturday, January 8, 2011

Weekend Cooking - Baklava


I'm really going to try and participate in this weekly event. You may read today's entry, and learn more about it here.

I didn't even need to try today because Tom made baklava! There are a few different recipes for this gooey, very sweet, delicious dessert. This is the one he used.

Baklava

For the baklava:
14 oz. bag of walnuts
1 lb phyllo dough -
this is the brand we always use

1 cup melted butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

For the syrup:
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons lemon juice
a little ground cinnamon

If your dough is in the freezer, remove it and put it in the refrigerator overnight. The next day, when thawed, unwrap and unroll the sheets so they are in a pile like a stack of paper.

Lightly butter a 10x15 pan and preheat oven to 350°F.

Put walnuts in the food processor. Add sugar and cinnamon and process a bit more. Melt butter.

Place two sheets of phyllo dough into the 10 x 15 pan. Using a pastry brush, brush top phyllo sheet with melted butter. Add two more sheets, butter the top one.

Spoon on a thin layer of the nut mixture and spread evenly over the dough. Cover with two sheets of phyllo, brushing the top one with butter. Repeat until nut mixture is used up. Tom had enough for three layers of nut mixture. The top should be like the bottom. Two sheets, buttered. Then the final two sheets, buttered. Do not worry if the sheets crinkle up a bit, it will just add more texture.

Cut into squares using a sharp knife. Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes or until lightly golden brown, and edges appear slightly crisp.

While baking, make the syrup. Combine the water, sugar, honey, lemon juice, and a little cinnamon in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium low heat and let simmer until slightly thickened, maybe five minutes. Allow to cool.

Spoon the cooled syrup over the hot baklava and let cool for at least 4 hours.

4 hours? Yeah, right. Eat it as soon as it is cool enough to not burn your mouth! This is fantastic, wonderful, scrumptious.



15 comments:

  1. here is another thing that I love, but never really thought of actually making it. sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Nan, just my type of food! Thank you for the recipe - I shall certainly try this.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nuts and honey -- health food, in my opinion. Thus I can eat this to my heart's content. LOL. Great sounding recipe for one of my all-time favorite desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Nan. I am so impressed. I thought Baklava was something only professional Greek bakers could make. Your instructions were very clear and it sounds like something I could do. Your Tom is a gem. Thank him from me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love baklava!! With me being the only German in the house, my Turkish neighbours sometimes bring me food they have prepared for some special occasion or other. I've had their delicious home-made baklava before... in fact, it's been a while, so hopefully they'll make more soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful! LOL at the notion that anyone would wait 4 hours for a taste!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this looks so good. I have a friend who makes this and hers always is so delicious.Glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mouth is watering. I wish I could pop over for a hot cup of tea and a plate full of these yummy baklavas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caite, there are a few steps, but honestly it isn't hard at all, and SO worth it!

    Colleen, they are excellent.

    Pam, I hope you do!

    Beth, that's what I say!

    Ann, me too!

    Margot, you absolutely can make them. Not hard, just a few steps. And as I said to Caite, they are so worth it.

    Librarian, or you could surprise them with your own!

    Joy, I waited just a few minutes. :<)

    Alicia, thanks, and now maybe you can make some for your friend. :<)

    Lisa, or two plates or three... :<)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your food photos are really good Nan. I love this meme (I first read it on Margot's Joyfully Retired) and now if we're home on Saturday I'll go to at least some of the other links. But I take lousy food pictures, so I'll probably not join.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sallie, food pictures are the hardest for me to get. I often bring the food outdoors:<)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh. My. Goodness! This looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Les, it is wonderful, wonderful, and not hard to make. Rod will love it!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.