Friday, January 7, 2011

Colleen's Buttermilk Scones


Colleen very kindly allowed me to post her scone recipe. Please do go and visit her original posting to see some fantastic photographs and a bit of the recipe's story. These scones are out-of-this-world delicious. My advice is to make them tomorrow, or tonight!

Colleen's Buttermilk Scones

3 cups flour (I used half white and half whole wheat pastry)
1/2 cup white sugar (I used Sugar in the Raw, as I always do)
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
3/4 cup butter
1 cup buttermilk

Mix dry ingredients.
Cut in the butter (I used two knives)
If you want, you may now add 1 cup of fruit. I used 1/2 cup blueberries and 1/2 cup cranberries, both frozen. Also add the rind of a lemon or an orange. I used lemon this time.
Stir in the buttermilk.

Roll or press dough out on floured surface and cut into 8-10 wedges like pizza.
Put on greased cookie sheet and bake in preheated 375-400º F. oven for 16-18 minutes.

I love these scones. They take no time to make, and are so delicious.

10 comments:

  1. They look great and would be good right about now with some piping hot coffee!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do look pretty easy to make. I'll have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound good--something to do with our surplus of buttermilk and sour milk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staci, or milk or alone. :<)

    Bermuda Onion, they were a snap to make, and so delicious!

    Morning's Minion, lucky surplus to have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nan, I will definitely substitute raw sugar for white next time I make these. I often don't end up making these because of the white. What a simple solution! And thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look delicious. I'd rather have a scone with my latte than any other cake. Usually I have raisons in my scones, but I'd like to try this recipe with buttermilk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE scones! These look delicious. I am not the world's best baker, but I might try these.

    Years ago on my one and only trip to England, I discovered scones with jam and clotted cream served, of course, with a pot of Darjeeling.....sigh!

    Loved it then, love it now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colleen, I don't think Sugar in the Raw is actually 'raw' but it is different from white, and not so highly processed. Plus it looks and tastes great! More here:

    http://www.sugarintheraw.com/

    Thanks again for the recipe!!

    Vintage Reading, I loved the fruit in these!

    Yvette, they are really easy to make. I promise. And such a great reward! I've had those cream teas too, and there's nothing like them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love scones (even have a scone pan!) and will have to give these a try. They sound divine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Les, I have a scone pan too, but I didn't use it. I think the recipe is bigger than would fit, but I'm not sure. These are wonderful no matter how you make them.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.