Thursday, January 15, 2009

Potato Loaf

The name potato loaf comes from a long time ago when we used to make this in a loaf pan. Over the years, I found that a shallow, longer pan cooked the potatoes better, but the name remains. This, along with hummus and soyburgers, was one of our first vegetarian recipes, and it is still a big favorite today. We both find it incredibly delicious!

I've measured out the potatoes to make a more accurate recipe.



Potato Loaf

20 oz. peeled potatoes (unpeeled if desired)
1 small-medium onion
1 egg
2 T. olive oil

Whisk together the egg and oil. Grate in the onion. Grate in the potatoes.
Put in greased 7 x 11 pan, cover with tin foil, and bake in preheated 350º F. oven for about an hour.
Remove tin foil halfway through the baking.

I like to add some roasted garlic to the top after it comes out of the oven. And here's my little tip of the day. I've changed the traditional way of roasting garlic where you cut off the bottom and remove part of the covering. I never liked having to handle the hot garlic and squeeze it out of the peeling. So now before cooking, I peel the garlic, chop it up, put it in a square of tin foil, cover it with olive oil, make a pouch of the foil, and bake it about half an hour at 350º F. It is perfectly wonderful this way, and a whole lot easier for the diner.


16 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this recipe, Nan. Perhaps we can put it as the P entry for my vegetable alphabet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, this looks good! And I have all the ingredients in the house right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monix, my whole alphabet could be p for potatoes!
    Joyce, I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this reminds me of a potato cake recipe I have only I fry them. Yum I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nan
    How long have you been vegetarian?
    Have you ever thought of going vegan?
    I am so leaning toward veg, but my husb loves his meat.
    Thanks so much for your inspring posts.
    Mim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, I'd love that recipe! Do you have to deep fry or can you use a frypan on the stove?
    Mim, 38 years! Not a vegan because I eat eggs, butter, and milk. Not cheese but that's just because I don't like it, though what I buy for Tom is made with vegetable rennet. And I thank you for your nice words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nan,
    That looks really filling and satisfying. Thanks for the cool tip for the garlic. I adore garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Nan!

    Thank you so much for the recipe! I love potatoes any way you cook them and this loaf sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    Smiles...

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Staci and Beverly, thanks so much - garlic and potatoes are two of my favorite foods!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh that looks yummy. My daugter loves potatoes and she would love it if I made this for her. Perhaps I will make it this weekend. I have a little surprise for you over at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let me know how she likes it hip chick - one of my kids is a fan, and the other isn't. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  12. For your cooking and much else, there's an award for you over at Cornflower, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I quite fancy that with a fried egg on top of it. Yum.

    You get the prize for the most frugal, tasty-looking, recipe on the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cornflower, thank you so much!
    Dulce Domum, an egg?? You're right that dish doesn't cost much. In fact, most of what we eat doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely going to try this one, Nan. It looks delicious and am always looking for new potato recipes.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.