Monday, January 12, 2009

Muffin Monday/Maple-Oatmeal Muffins

Here is another recipe from the writer Eileen Goudge's cookbook. You may find the first one I posted here.

Maple-Oatmeal Muffins

1/2 cup milk
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup melted butter (she called for vegetable oil, but you know by now that I always use butter!)
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Dash of salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (I used walnuts)

Preheat oven to 375º F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin, or line with baking cups.

Stir the milk into oats; set aside.

Place the maple syrup, egg, and cooled butter into large bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon or beat with an electric mixer on low speed, until blended. (I used the mixer)
Add the oat/milk mixture and blend well.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add to the maple syrup mix, and stir just until incorporated. Stir in 1/2 cup of the nuts. (All muffin recipes say to stir just until mixed, and I usually do, but today I just let the mixer beat everything together and the muffins turned out great)

Spoon batter into muffin cups to about two-thirds full, and sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup nuts over the tops.

Bake 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Let cool in the tin for a minute or two, and then turn out onto cooling rack.

Boy, were these ever good!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Karin, thank you for coming by. They would be just fine without nuts. They are very chewy with the oats. I'm not sure but in southern New England in suburbia there are usually a lot of deer. And in the book I read, Dear Mr Jefferson by Laura Simon, she talks about abundant deer on Nantucket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these yesterday (delicious!!) and wrote a quick blog post.

    http://lakesidemusing.blogspot.com/2009/01/muffins-for-winter-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, JoAnn for making them and for letting me know. I just love to hear that people have tried a recipe I've posted. I so enjoy the sharing of recipes - one of the great pleasures of the domestic life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I am getting ready to go try this recipe with whole wheat flour and flax seed meal added in. I am excited that this has the potential to be delicious and healthy. I will put them in the freezer so I have quick access to a healthy snack or breakfast when I need it. Last time I made flaxseed, whole wheat, and apple muffins. Thank you so much. I was so happy to run across your site when I put oatmeal pure maple syrup muffins in my search bar. I will have to check out more soon. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julianne, I used a mix of whole wheat and whole wheat pastry. I pretty much use ww in everything with the exception of cakes, brownies, and popovers. For those I use unbleached organic white. Thanks for stopping in and commenting.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.