Friday, September 5, 2008

Today's poem - On the Grasshopper and the Cricket by John Keats


On the Grasshopper and the Cricket
by John Keats

The poetry of earth is never dead:
When all the birds are faint with the hot sun,
And hide in cooling trees, a voice will run
From hedge to hedge about the new-mown mead;
That is the Grasshopper's - he takes the lead
In summer luxury, - he has never done
With his delights; for when tired out with fun
He rests at ease beneath some pleasant weed.
The poetry of earth is ceasing never:
On a lone winter evening, when the frost
Has wrought a silence, from the stove there shrills
The Cricket's song, in warmth increasing ever,
And seems to one in drowsiness half lost,
The Grasshopper's among some grassy hills.

John Keats (1795-1821)

5 comments:

  1. Reading this I realise that I have heard very few grasshoppers this year. I don't think it's my ageing ears, since there has been a dearth of insects in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Keats! Beautiful reminder of the summer we haven't had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe wet weather means not so many grasshoppers? After our rainy summer, we've had days and days of sunshine and heat, and the grasshoppers are thriving. Thank you both for writing. Poor dear Keats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read much of Keats. I just love this poem. It reminds me that I should read more of his writing. I always think this when I read a particular poem someone shares then when I go to the library I never think to pick up a book of his poetry. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That one hit the spot! Soon it will be time for "To Autumn"

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.