Friday, September 5, 2008

Musing about awards

If you look on my sidebar or read my posts, you may think, oh, poor Nan. She never gets any blog awards. :<) Well, here's the thing. When I first began blogging, and wonderful, thoughtful awards would come my way, I posted the pictures of them on the online journal, and I passed them along to others. Sometimes the 'requirement' would be five, sometimes seven. But always, no matter how many people I could pass along an award to, it wasn't enough. Fairness and kindness are high up on the list of what is important to me. I don't like leaving anyone out ... ever. So, many months ago, I took off all the award pictures, and when I get one, I go right to the giver's blog, and thank them. My gratitude is very sincere, and it does mean the world to me to be appreciated for my 'letters,' but I'm not passing any along anymore. If a reader wants to know what blogs I value, what I read to warm my heart and soul, and stimulate my mind, they are there on the sidebar. I love my blog list. I love all of the blogs. And I have a bookmark in my browser callled 'new visits.' This is where I keep track of new-to-me blogs. I go through the list occasionally, and decide if I am reading one often enough to add it to my list. And so it goes, and so the list grows. Beth used the phrase, "bushels of blogs." It implies such wealth, such bounty, and that is exactly right.

9 comments:

  1. I feel the same way, Nan. The blogs that I love are the ones that I mention on my blog. Picking 3 or 5 or 7 to give an award to just doesn't work for me personally. I love it when people are kind enough to give awards to me, and that makes me feel a tiny bit guilty about not passing the awards along, but I really think that I'm telling people every week that I appreciate their blogs, when I link to them, or comment on them, etc. Thanks for sharing your perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you, Jen! I like what you said: "I'm telling people every week that I appreciate their blogs, when I link to them, or comment on them, etc."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't have said it better! I feel exactly the same way and I always feel terrible when I accept the award and pass it on, only to have to leave out some of my favorite blogs. I may just have to use your entire post as a quote next time I'm honored with an award. Honestly, you said exactly what I've always felt when it comes to awards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel so much the same, Nan. I just want to say, your blog is so 'you' and reflects you perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely agree with what you said and also Jen and also Les. I try to comment often on the blogs I read. I don't read all that many as my time is so limited, but I do enjoy the 30 or so that I keep up with.

    Love awards and am so appreciative when I receive one, but I thank the giver and get back to my book reading. Thanks so much for sharing, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too, Nan. I really dislike trying to pick five or whatever number of people - it seems so mean to leave people out and makes me feel bad, when I really appreciate all the blogs I read (and there are a lot). I like your 'new visits' idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've said it very well, Nan. I feel exactly the same way, and appreciate you explaining it so beautifully.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try to leave comments on blogs that are catching my interest. I like the no strings attached approach.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh me too, Nan, and you explain it so beautifully. I love your "new visits" idea, too, and will use it to organise my reading.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.