Saturday, January 31, 2009

First orange juice


gastronomy:
the practice or art of choosing, cooking, and eating good food

There are several highlights of my gastronomical year: the first strawberries, the first peas, the first blueberries, the first yellow beans, the first raspberries, and then the one that comes around this time of year, the first juice oranges. They make a quiet entrance into the produce section of the grocery store. One day they aren't there, and the next they are. The juicing season begins with Florida Minneola Tangelos, and proceeds to my most particular favorite, the Florida Temple Oranges. For a couple months, I am in flavor heaven. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, which comes even close to fresh-squeezed orange juice.

2 comments:

  1. We have to make do with the packet variety but that is pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is a 'packet' what we call a 'carton??' I remember we bought oranges from Israel? Is that right??

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.